Upgrading to iWork 08 + Office 08

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XP Defector, May 11, 2008.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Can I just zap the old stuff and clean install or just update? I'm low on space so don't want to have stuff taking up space... Thanks

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Office 2008 will give you the option of deleting older versions of Office when you install. (But if I were you I'd keep them around anyway).

The old version of iWork you could just trash.

Given my experience, I'd suggest keeping the older version of Office if you need to distribute files in the .doc format. I've had lots of headaches with the new version of Office.

4. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok cool, so I'll keep word about then - is office 08 worth the hassle? Did they ever release 04 with UB? That's what tempted the upgrade really. I'll just trash iWork, keynotes takes like 1.4 gig, cant have that lying around.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Office 2004 was never UB, and that's one of the reasons that I decided to get the new version.

Is it worth the hassle? Well, some people seem to like it, but it's gotten a lot of negative feedback (particularly because they dropped VB support). Of course, if you've never used VB, then this probably doesn't affect you in the slightest.

My use probably isn't typical, but the biggest problems I've been having have to do with document sharing. If you need to send documents out for other people to work on, chances are they're using an earlier version, and so you'll spend lots of time working on .doc, .xls, etc, files in "compatibility mode", since the new versions all prefer their native .docx, .xlsx, etc., formats. (Although you can save, for example, a .docx file as a .doc file, and so forth.) This sort of defeats the purpose of having the new edition, since it doesn't seem all that much faster, and I'm still working in the (now) legacy formats.

Other than that, I've run into lots of other problems. See this one, for example, or go to the Word user forum at that same site and search for "Equation Editor".

I still need to work with Office files, but I spend a lot of time transferring things back to my old PB (with Office X) to fix things.

I was happy with my older version of iWork, but I got so frustrated with Office 2008 that I decided to get the new iWork too. No complaints there, and it's about 1 GB smaller than the previous version!

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No.

7. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

word!