Upgrading to latest version of iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sportsphysio, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Sportsphysio macrumors newbie

I am awaiting the delivery of a new camcorder, and will be using iMovie for the first time (I have never done any video editing).

I currently have a 2009 iMac running Lion, which has iMovie '09, and I did not know how to (or if I should) upgrade to the latest version of iMovie. So my questions are:

1. Is it necessary to upgrade?
    2. Is it possible to upgrade the iMovie software on a 2009 iMac?
    3. If I stay with iMovie '09 and start editing video, what will happen if I eventually upgrade to a newer version; will there be compatibility issues with older videos that were edited with an older version of iMovie?

Sorry for the really basic (and probably stupid) questions; I really have no idea what I am doing!

Thanks!

2. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

No

Yes

It will probably run some utility to upgrade your library, but other than that, you'll be fine.

3. Sportsphysio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!!

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Yeah...

I updated to iMovie 10 trough the App Store, and my favorite features are as follows, in reverse order:
    1:It's 64-bit, so it's faster
    2:It didn't delete iMovie 09', so I could revert back to the better version.

iMovie 10 is the best for most people, as it's faster, easier, and integrated with AppleTV and iCloud, but 09' allows for so much more, and if you spend the time learning the software, you can make much more complex videos with 09'. It's basically like the Final Cut 7 to X thing, but with the consumer software.

5. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I am not liking the new version. Still having issues getting around in it. I'll be looking for the old version of iMovie. I thought it was removed...

6. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

The weird thing is, it wasn't deleted when you installed the latest iMovie. Like with most Apple apps, when a new one comes, it replaces the pervious version. But with iMovie, they didn't do this.

You can find the older iMovie in Finder -> your apps -> and it should be in a folder called iMovie. They put it in a folder so it wouldn't show up in the Launchpad next to the latest version of iMovie.

7. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

I highly recommend going to youtube.com and searching for the features you're having trouble with. iMovie changed a LOT with the new version, but most of the features are still there. Don't give up yet.

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have to agree here. I would upgrade to the newest version but still keep the past version around. Get use to the new version. It is a lot faster than the past version and can still do most of what the past version could do. You will be surprised by its speed.

Does not take long to get use to the new interface.

9. PinkyMacGodess, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

The part where you say "can still do most of what the past version could do" makes me wonder why 'features' were removed, and what do I do now with a partially constructed project that apparently uses those missing 'features'.

Can a project that has been 'charmed' for the new version, be 'de-charmed' to be used with the old version?

----------

I can try that I guess. The nearest Apple Store is 2 hours away, and I don't know any other Mac users that abuse iMovie the way I do.

There is an iMovie I did, and am trying to finish the next leg video, and can't get to where I need to go to redo the settings the same. It could be me... Also the linked mov file is rather on the largish side. I don't know what happened to it, it just seems to have put on a lot of weight.

10. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If your new camcorder records in AVCHD, then you'll be better with the latest iMovie as you can import AVCHD direct. You can't with the older version.

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Guess I should have said something more along the lines of, you will just need to "learn a new workflow" when working with the new iMovie, instead of "features were removed". But some features have been changed, so hence the workflow change.

I watched about 6 minutes of the video you created. It is actually basic stuff in iMovie. This is the kind of videos I use iMovie for. For you to migrate to the new iMovie, it would make total sense. Especially with videos that long. With the past version of iMovie, that video would take quite some time to render, where as, in the new iMovie, the render time would be cut down immensely.

My suggestion would be to finish the current project you are working on in the version of iMovie you are presently doing it in. Then try a small project in the new version of iMovie so you can get use to it, before trying a big project.

It took me a little while to warm up to the new version of iMovie, but I am quite liking it now. Mind you, I only use it for small projects as I have other software for more complicated projects.

And, no you can not move projects created in the new iMovie back to the past version. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I have not found a way of doing it.