Upgrading to Leopard and installing a new harddrive questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by syclonefx, May 31, 2008.

1. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

I'm about to upgrade to Leopard and I am also installing a new 320GB harddrive in my MBP. I want to keep everything thats in my home folder. Can I do a clean install of Leopard on the new harddrive and restore my Tiger home folder from back up or should I upgrade to Leopard on my old harddrive make a backup of my home folder? Then install the new harddrive, install Leopard on it and restore the Leopard home folder backup?:confused:

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Do you have an external hard drive enclosure with the new disk in it or did you just buy a disk to install in your MBP?

Answer that and then I can make some recommendations as to the safest approach.

3. syclonefx thread starter macrumors regular

syclonefx

I am buying a firewire enclosure for the old hard drive.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Excellent!

Here's what to do. Wait until you get the enclosure before doing anything.

1. Mount the new drive in the enclosure.

2. Format the new drive making sure the Partition Map is set to GUID. If you need instructions let me know.

3. Download Carbon Copy Cloner and make a clone of your existing drive to the new one.

4. Test the new drive to see if it is bootable. (Hold down option key at startup and keep holding until you see the boot loader (blue) screen with bootable volumes. Select the new drive and continue the boot.

5. If that works fine, shutdown and swap drives with the MBP.

6. Boot from the Leopard installer and do an "upgrade" installation on the new drive.

7. After the install is complete and rebooted, run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

8. Test out all of your apps over the course of a few days. If you have any problems, you could always boot off of the enclosure (with your old disk) and use Carbon Copy Cloner to restore your new internal drive.

5. syclonefx thread starter macrumors regular

syclonefx

Thanks for the Help. I'll let you know how it worked out.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

One thing I left out. When you do the Leopard upgrade, make sure you boot into SAFE Boot mode before applying the upgrade.

7. syclonefx thread starter macrumors regular

syclonefx

Thanks for your help merl1n. Everything is running smoothly.