Upgrading to leopard - Backing everything up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Oct 3, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

hello! im really excited i just bought a copy of leopard today! Ok, ive heard many times that a clean install is the best way to go, but id really like to give the "upgrade" option a chance, because it will be such a pain to get everything in my mac again... So, im too worried of any problems that might occur and might result on any damage or loss of my files. So i downloaded superduper to do a backup. The thing is, i want to take a "clone" backup, meaning i just want to backup EVERYTHING in my hard drive, including tiger. Just so, if anything happens, i can just erase my hard drive and put that backup again. So, can i do that with superduper? *If* something wrong happens, how could i erase my HD and then put back the backup? Im not really familiar with what macosx runs on, so if there not macosx in my machine, what will run? unix? any help or links would be highly appreciated... can hardly keep my hands off the leopard dvds :p

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I think you are making it harder than it is, really. When you use SuperDuper to clone your original boot drive to an external drive, SuperDuper will make the external drive clone bootable too (assuming it is a FireWire drive if you have a PowerPC based Mac-- Intel based Macs can boot from FireWire OR USB, but not PPC Macs).

Since the external is now a bootable clone, should anything go wrong with your upgrade on your internal, you would simply restart your Mac while holding down the Option key. Both your internal and external will appear in a window and you would simply select your external and it would boot from that one.

When your external is booted, you then would just run SuperDuper from it and clone your external back onto the internal and you will be back to the starting point again.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

+1

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Just do the "upgrade" - you'll be fine. I've never done an OS upgrade any other way, and I've never had a problem. Then do the Superduper thing AND use Time Machine.

5. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

thank u all very much, its been a great help :) sickmacdoc, you were very clear with ur explanation and helped me very much. Im runnin leopard atm so far so good, and i got a bootable backup on my external drive. Thnx very much! leopard is pretty faster... i didnt expect it to be faster than tiger... nice :)