Upgrading to Leopard - Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmcbridejr, Apr 18, 2008.

1. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I have been a long time Final Cut Pro user, and so, when I bought my girlfriend a MacBook, I had Final Cut Express preinstalled on her new laptop.

If I upgrade her laptop to Leopard, will Final Cut Express still work?

If I need to upgrade to a Leopard compatible version of Final Cut Express, will that cost money or is it a free incremental compatibility update?

Keep in mind that she is a student, and so, the computer was purchased under an education discount with Final Cut Express preinstalled.

Also, does upgrading to Leopard mean that you have to purchase iLife 08? If so, can I install the previous version (iLife 07?) that came on her MacBook with Tiger?

I hope that upgrading to Leopard does not mean that there are lots of other hidden costs (upgrading Final Cut Express and iLife '08) to think about.

Thank you in advance.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think FCE will continue to work, as should iLife 06, but I'm not sure.

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

4. cmcbridejr thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Thanks for pointing me into the direction of the specs, but that is for Final Cut Express 4.

I have Final Cut Express HD 3.5.1. So, does anyone actually know if that will work with Leopard, rather than just think it might work?

5. Evanrude macrumors newbie

Evanrude

The university I am attending is using Final Cut Express HD 3.5.1 installed on Mac Mini's running Leopard :eek:

Which is really sad considering that I've got a better setup at home than they do in their ""video editing lab"".

It'll work, go for it!