upgrading to leopard help please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by john2006wright, Oct 10, 2008.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

hello people, hope you can give me some advice.

I'm going to upgrade my MacBook from Tiger to Leopard. I have backed up my HD using superduper onto a FW external HDD. I'm wondering whether to do an archive and install and hope everything transfers OK (MS office?) or do a erase and install and then use Migration Assistant to transfer everything from the external HDD.
    So if use migration assistant, does that effectively do the same as archive and install.
    Ideally, I'd like to pick and choose which apps to bring to the new system from Tiger. Is their a way to migrate "manually"?

Thanks,
    john

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Archive and Install is the best bet. You might have to do damage control on applications that install deep system hooks though.

3. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

Would i be right in assuming that all my itunes, iphoto, and mail will be transferred to the new system during an archive and install? Although how does that work with needing to install ilife from my tiger install disc? Is their a manual way of movign email and iphotos and itunes etc?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your current user directory, settings, and applications are preserved when doing an Archive & Install. Not to mention you have a backup. ;)