Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syclonefx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Daytona Beach Fl
I’m trying to upgrade to leopard. I just bought a 320GB hard drive to replace the 80GB hard drive in my Macbook Pro. I installed the new hard drive into an external firewire case and formatted it. I formatted the volume with Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I used SuperDuper! to clone my old hard drive on to the new hard drive. Everything works fine. Now I want to upgrade the new hard drive to Leopard before I install it into my Macbook. I started the Leopard install and the new hard drive has a red Exclamation mark so I can’t install Leopard on it. Here is the error it gives.

“You cannot install Mac OSX on this volume. To enable installation on this volume open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and repartition the disk as ‘GUID Partition Table’. Note: you will lose all data on this disk by repartitioning it.”

My old hard drive is formatted the same way and I can install Leopard on it. Do you think that it has a problem installing on the Firewire drive? Do you think if I install the new drive into my Macbook the way it is I won’t have to reformat the drive or should I just reformat it not and get it over with?

syclonefx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Daytona Beach Fl
did you try what the error message said to do? your disk might be formatted with the MBR partition table.

No I haven't done what the error message said yet.

Check to see in disk utility if the partition mac scheme is GUID or MBR

if it is MBR then you will have to repartition to GUID

The disk is partition is Apple Partition Map. I guess I have to change it to GUID. I just wasted 3 hours cloning my current hard drive to the new one:(
And now I have to redo it all over again. Thanks for the help guys.

cjt3007

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Portland, OR
Help!

I have a MBP with CORE 2 DUO and I am trying to install leopard on it but when I try to repartition my drive, GUID is not on option the only options are in the pic

picture1

macmikey2

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
West Chester, PA
I have a MBP with CORE 2 DUO and I am trying to install leopard on it but when I try to repartition my drive, GUID is not on option the only options are in the pic

Look down below the Partition Scheme window.. there is a button for Options. Open that and your choices are in there.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.