Upgrading to Leopard--should I add iLife '08?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koachick, Dec 13, 2007.

1. koachick macrumors newbie

Hi--recently joined 21st century by getting a new MacBook Pro. Many changes since my old PowerBook days, so I'm trying my best to get current. New member here & just appreciate all the info people have shared & just how many generous and SMART Mac people there are out there...thanks to those who've posted.

Q: Upgrading to OS X 10.5 Leopard & want to know if iLife '08 would also be a good addition or duplicative or ???

Also--what about regular vs. "family pack?"

Likewise, what about iWork? Is it Mac's version of MS Office?

I have MS Office to do the usual document stuff--just need something for personal word processing and might have a PowerPoint project or 2 in my future.

Mostly am just curious if iLife is smart to add or if it might be better to get latest versions of other non-Apple software (i.e. PhotoShop, Final Cut, etc...)

At present, beginner photographer with digital SLR & I mostly just use iPhoto and now on board w/ iTunes + iPod. Would like to incorporate more video into my hobbies/transfer from my camcorder and create who knows what...might even get wild & build my 1st web page.

Other than that, I'm not sure what I need to supplement Leopard, what I don't, what software looks better, what software I might find useful down the road when I grow into all the options I have with a Mac today.

Realize that's a BIG questions but specifically, if iLife fits that bill at present?

At any rate, if someone had some feedback about that, I'd greatly appreciate it and apologies for being so out-of-date with the Mac world today.

Mahalo!

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

If you just got a new MacBook Pro, I think you already have iLife '08. I bought a new aluminum iMac in September, and it was included with that, so I assume the same for the MacBook.

A family pack gives you license to install up to five copies on machines in the same household.

iWork includes Pages (word processor and page layout), Numbers (spreadsheet), and Keynote (presentations). Only you can decide whether you want those to replace Office. I have iWork, but found I had to have Office also to provide compatibility with many business documents.

3. unity macrumors 6502a

Q: Upgrading to OS X 10.5 Leopard & want to know if iLife '08 would also be a good addition or duplicative or ???

** It comes with iLife 08

Also--what about regular vs. "family pack?"

** Just a 5-licensee pack for one household.

Likewise, what about iWork? Is it Mac's version of MS Office?

** Sorta. It has cross platform support. But I think its still growing, MS Office is a more mature app. However, I no longer use Office and stay with iWork so it works for me as a replacement.

4. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I'm not where I can check my Leopard installation disk, but I'm reasonably sure that Leopard does not include iLife '08. But it does come installed on new machines, and it remains there when you upgrade from Tiger to Leopard.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No it doesn't. Comes with the machine, not the OS.

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Leopard does *not* include iLife'08 but every Apple computer has it bundled in. There's a difference. iLife is a separate app bundle, it is *not* a part of the operating system!

7. koachick thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: iLife + Leopard feedback

Hey --thanks to all those who provided some info on the Mac OS software.

One--I should qualify that "new" to me didn't mean last week. I got my MBP back in April, so it DEFINITELY didn't come with iLife '08. I recall also getting many pop-up/upgrade offers later to get that separately when it first came out.

Sounds like IF you did happen to get a Mac computer recently, it came bundled both with iLife '08 & Leopard. THAT would've been nice, or at least the opportunity to get it at a discount since it was so delayed.

But if you were like me and couldn't wait that long, looks I'm stuck buying both separately.

Q: Is iLife worth getting over the regular iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, etc... that already is on Leopard? I guess if many came with both, it's hard to know that--just if someone did.

Also, thanks for the comments about iWork--unfortunately, have to have Office for documents other non-Mac people send me but I bet it's better software just for one's own use on one's own Mac. But appreciate the feedback.

Again, thanks to those who offered their input/what they knew.

Just still wondering if getting iLife '08 is worthwhile. Not terribly expensive but if someone had some experience, would love to hear it.

Thank you all so much!

Mahalo!

8. unity macrumors 6502a

Did you read the thread? He is getting a NEW MacBook Pro... it COMES WITH iLIFE 08.... Hence it comes with iLife...

9. unity macrumors 6502a

Did you read the thread? He is getting a NEW MacBook Pro... it COMES WITH iLIFE 08.... Hence it comes with iLife...
    yes... echo

10. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

cool! did not now it was 'normal'