Upgrading To Leopard- Steps to Take?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anirban, May 14, 2008.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hello all!

I am running Tiger, and Windows XP on Bootcamp.

I am going to upgrade to Leopard, and I plan on performing a "erase and install" on my MBP.

My question: What happens to my bootcamp partition when I click on the "Erase and Install"?

Is there a way to not screw around with the bootcamp partition, and just have Leopard erase the Tiger partition, and write over it?

Thanks a lot!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To answer to your question, the OS is installed on a partition, not on a disk. Upgrading MacOS X does not damage Boot Camp.

To a larger point, Erase & Install is a waste of time. Simple Upgrade is the default method for installing a new OS. Apple did not design its system to trick you into screwing up. Erase & Install and Archive & Install are intended to provide "outs" after you encounter a problem that you can't solve. They are not part of a routine maintenance regime. They are not intended and should not be used as upgrade methods of choice.

3. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

"Upgrade" is definitely the default method of installation. But I would like to wipe everything off my computer, and start fresh- something like a new machine. Hence the reason for me to perform a "Erase & Install".

Over the last year, I have accumulated way too much stuff in my computer, and they are disorganized to unthinkable limits. Starting completely new would force me to organize my files correctly, keeping my computer clean.

Pardon me if this is obvious, but just as a reassurance, can I go ahead and just perform the "Erase & Install" with the Leopard CD, being sure that my BootCamp Windows would be left alone? And after Leopard is installed, can I just delete the Windows partition if I want, just like how it was done in Tiger?

Thanks!

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Just pop your Leopard disc in and it should see both partitions but only allow you to install/upgrade on the Tiger partition. Reason being that the boot camp partition isn't the proper format. The only way to change your boot camp partition is in Disk Utility.

5. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Glad to hear that! Now I can just go ahead and jump in the Leopard boat. Thanks a lot!

6. L3X macrumors 6502a

iLife?

Question: If you do perform an erase and install, what happens with the iLife suite?

7. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yes, I am an idiot for not thinking of that. But I think that can be installed using the factory CD#2 that came with my machine. Can anyone please confirm this?

8. L3X macrumors 6502a

Ahh yeah, I'm pretty sure it's in the 2nd disc of Tiger.