upgrading to leopard

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Hey all - If I bought a 2 footer iMac now, and then wanted to upgrade to Leopard when it is released, how hard is that to do? Would I have to back up everything and restore after the upgrade?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Razorhog said:
Hey all - If I bought a 2 footer iMac now, and then wanted to upgrade to Leopard when it is released, how hard is that to do? Would I have to back up everything and restore after the upgrade?
Past upgrades have been easy. It's always a good idea to backup before an OS upgrade, but the OSX process is relatively seamless.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Razorhog said:
I would assume that it would be even easier than the upgrade to Tiger was and that was completely painless for me. I backed up my iPod music folder and files and some documents I had on the hard drive just in case, but nothing adverse or unexpected happened for me.

I'll leave my Powerbook G4 Tiger installation alone since it works exactly as I want it and won't be getting any new software for it, but my Mac Mini will get Leopard when it's released. Hopefully Apple will have a store event to coincide with the release like they did with Tiger.

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
gauchogolfer said:
Past upgrades have been easy. It's always a good idea to backup before an OS upgrade, but the OSX process is relatively seamless.
People have reported that there is a back up with Time Machine included in the Leopard intaller which should make that a breeze. :cool:

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
Razorhog said:
Thanks for the replies.

What do you mean "benchmark"?
I was using it in this context:
benchmark - 1 a standard or point of reference against which things may be compared or assessed : [as adj. ] a benchmark case.

Changed original post to make it less confusing.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
London
tvguru said:
People have reported that there is a back up with Time Machine included in the Leopard intaller which should make that a breeze. :cool:
But surely you can only use Time Machine after the upgrade. And you really should back up before doing do.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
For what its worth, when a big update comes round I like to install a fresh copy of OSX. I back up my docs, music and pics folders - oh and iWeb domain files (dont forget them). Then install everything fresh. Takes longer but it can help erradicate any potential upgrade problems. :)