Upgrading to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vadim.iablokov, Sep 26, 2007.

1. vadim.iablokov macrumors newbie

I am new to Apple in general and don't know how the whole new OS procedure works on these machines. When Leopard comes out, will I have to do a clean install of the OS on my system or will I be given an option to just upgrade the OS and keep all my files?
    Does anyone recommend that I just do a clean install anyways, 'cause on a windows machine I used to do a clean install whenever the opportunity presented itself. But, I really don't want to do a clean install anymore... it just works so damn well.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I always Erase and Install for major OS upgrades, like Tiger to Leopard, just to make sure there aren't any incompatibilities. However, I can tell you that there is an upgrade option, as well as an Archive and Install option (these are the same options Tiger had at retail), and that upgrading works just fine for the vast majority of users.

I would recommend that you do a simple upgrade, unless you have any 3rd-party hacks installed. If you do you should definitely do an Archive and Install, if not an Erase and Install.

4. H&Kie macrumors regular

I am a fan of clean installs myself. On your Mac, it will last a lifetime. If you choose to upgrade, I'd recommend to check some forums for compatibility issues before you do your own upgrade.

5. vadim.iablokov thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the Archive and install option save your applications as well or just your personal data, the files in your music, documents etc folders?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Here's a description of what Archive and Install does:

First, it creates a non-bootable copy of your old system, and stores it in the Previous Systems folder. This copy includes all your old applications, and will also include your user folder if you do not elect to save users and network settings.
    Second, it installs the new system and new applications (not including applications you've added yourself), after deleting the old stuff it copied in the previous step.
    Finally, it sets some initial settings for the new system and gets it ready to use.

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Is it easy to delete the old archive?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, it is. You may have to authenticate as an administrator to delete it though.

9. Half Glass macrumors regular

Disk Space

This will be my first upgrade since the version 7 days prior to my trip into windows world...

Will the upgrade (archive and install) option use a lot of disk space? Can the junk be deleted? My MBP doesn't have a lot of free space!

Thanks!

--Half Glass

10. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Wait so when I get Leopard, I stick the disk in and select for a clean install? Or do I have to put in my original Macbook discs, install Tiger, then install Leopard on top of that clean install?