Upgrading to Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Clusty, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Clusty macrumors regular

What would be the best way to upgrade to Leopard? Just do the "Upgrade" option, or a clean install if you've already got a disk image?

ETA: Either way I would make a backup of my HD.

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

If you will be backing up your stuff anyway.... just do a Clean Install.

3. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Well, how would I go about doing that? I have a computer on my home network that I backup all my files too. How would I get those files onto that computer, then back to mine after the install?

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

So, no external hard drive?

You may be able to mount the hard drive on the network computer as a local drive (Do not remember how to do that unfortunately) and then use CarbonCopy Cloner to clone your drive over to that. Though really, the best way is to use an external. Besides you will want one for Time Machine anyway.

5. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

I might be able to get a external between now and when I get Leopard(sometime in mid December). Does anyone know how to mount a network drive as a local drive? I'll try and google it.

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

If you get an external drive, then backup and do a fresh install. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. An Archive & Install will work just fine.

7. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

How much space does Time Machine need? My MacBook says it has 74.21GB and I've used 40.22GB of that.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

When I switched to Leopard, I just popped the disk in and followed the default prompts. I didn't archive/install, but it certainly is prudent to have your hard drive backed up. It went very well and I've not had a single problem with Leopard.

I back up using Super Duper, which makes a fully bootable cloned image. IIUC, you can reformat the partition you're going to use, do a clean install of Leopard on it, and use Migration Assistant to automatically restore your users and files from the backed up disk image.