Upgrading to Leopard!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TopGear300, Aug 26, 2008.

1. TopGear300 macrumors regular

TopGear300

So I made the purchase for my G5 iMac (iSight) and plan on throwing 10.5 on it! Im excited :D:D and I was wondering when I do the install will I lose all my programs? Like will I lose Microsoft office and others?

THANKS!

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

nadda, just do archive and install, all programs will be intact.

3. macwall macrumors 6502

nope. just install and it'll transfer the apps/docs for you. i love macs!

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you want a smooth install it will be best for you to back up your programs to an external HDD or DVD and then do a full erase of the old OS, reformat and install Leopard. Many people have had issues doing an Archive and Install when doing an OS upgrade. It's really not a good idea to use Archive and Install or the Upgrade option, you may have stability issues. You are mixing old files with a major OS upgrade, it's best to do a full erase and install.
    Archive and Install is best used when you are reinstalling the same OS. The Upgrade option is best used when you have a clean install of the old OS and you are just upgrading to the new OS.

5. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

TopGear300

Thanks guys for the help!

So if I don't format the HDD and put my new OS right on top of the old one, it will still transfer my apps over? Sounds like you guys don't recommend the archive and install option?

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Archive and Install will transfer your apps over, the upgrade option may not. If you are not going to do a reformat expect possible stability issues. This is slightly weird but think of it as putting on deodorant without taking a bath to remove all of the old dirt.

The previous user of the computer may have a lot of downloaded small files on the computer that may negatively impact your Leopard install. Also some programs are not compatible with Leopard or need to be freshly installed to run perfectly. What programs are you trying to save?

Try it the easy way if you prefer but you are doing a major overhaul so that's why I am recommending to backup those apps and do a reformat. Let us know how things work out.

7. TopGear300 thread starter macrumors regular

TopGear300

I think all I really worried about saving is Microsoft Office? I mean mac's come with so much I can't think of anything else I want to save that won't be leopard! :D Thanks for the help! Will post results! :apple:

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

you don't have to erase the hdd, but if you can backup all your files and don't mind reinstalling all of your programs it would be the best option. archive and install is the 2nd best.

9. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I chose upgrade on my PB G4 and went from 10.4.11 to 10.5.2 without any problems at all. I have office 2008 and it's working fine still.