Upgrading to Leopards Bootcamp from Tiger Bootcamp beta.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CavemanUK, Oct 3, 2007.

1. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Hi,

I know leopards not out so officially its features arent set in stone but i wondered if anyone had read anything about upgrading a tiger machine that has a bootcamp partition?

I just ask because ive recently upgraded my HD and want to set up window$ via bootcamp but dont want to go through all that hassle to only have to do it again when I buy leopard.

so..... anyone?

CavemanUK

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm sure you will be able to upgrade, but maybe a fresh one will be better with Leopard, if you can wait, I recommend it :)

3. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

All that will change is the bootcamp assistant, and possibly a new set of drivers. It's not going to make any difference to your existing Windows install.

Of course it's not out yes so this could be wrong but I'd be surprised if it was.

4. ~J~ macrumors 6502

If you are planning on doing a FULL install of Leopard, then YES, it will affect you; a full install will completely wipe your HD. If you do an archive & upgrade with Leopard, then it shouldnt do anything to your windows partition. This is the "unofficial" answer I got yesterday from a genius at the local :apple: store when I asked the same question. Since Im planning on doing a fresh install, Im just going to wait to play with bootcamp.

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

A full install of leopard should only remove your OSX partition and not affect your windows partition. Your "expert" is not as expert as he seems to be!

6. panthersweat macrumors newbie

panthersweat

Seems both logical and unfortunate! Looks like I'll be waiting aswell.

7. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Not the first time I've thought that myself. He also said that until BC is released with 10.5, Apple is not supporting it (which means HE could not help me with my BC problem) - not sure about that one. Also said that all of the geniuses as of yet have NO training on Leopard and that they will get a "crash course" on it the week before it is released. Really?? Thats like cramming for a major test... not the most effective way... and I kinda doubt thats how :apple: would handle it... but maybe Im wrong.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think a full install would (should) only just format the OS X partition, leaving the Windows partition in tact.

However, if I were in a position where I had a 10.4/BC 1.4 machine, I'd opt to wipe the entire thing out--backing up first, of course-- and redo everything as we don't actually know what's going to change in the way the 2 OS's interact with one another. For instance - the 1.4 Startup Preference in Windows might not work the way it should. Selecting the OS should be okay (an EFI issue mostly, which is unrelated to the OS as it were), as well as existing Windows drivers and software update, but really, the startup selector in Windows might be broken (10.5 w/ BC 1.4).

What would be really awesome is if a full format and install of Leopard included the option to partition the drive and make it ready for Windows. It would be really easy to include this as an option during the "pick-drive and format" section of the install - almost too easy for it not to be included.

The only thing that could be better is a slipstreamed XP or Vista install that has the Mac drivers/software preloaded. The drivers should be easy - put them in the proper folder. The installation of the ASU and Control Panel Applet, well, I have no clue. The only thing better than that would be an automated process that installed both Leopard and Windows. Licensing nightmare, to be sure, but imagine that - 1 DL-DVD, 1 install, ~2 hours, 1 complete system.

9. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I am waiting for leopard to use bootcamp. Its going to be a waste of time to set it up now and within a month have to do it all over again.

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You won't have to do it all over again...