Upgrading to Lion. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by signatus, Nov 6, 2011.

1. signatus, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

signatus macrumors member

signatus

Hi there.

Next week I'll get my new iPhone 4S, with iOS5. I'd like to make the most of it with iCloud, so I need to upgrade the OS in my MBP 2008 from Snow Leopard to Lion.
    My question is if my MBP is not a bit oldish to run Lion. Do you think it is possible?

2. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

I have Lion on my Early 2008 MBP, and it runs like a dream. Best to upgrade to at least 4Gb RAM though (Early 2008 MBP will take 6GB RAM, which is what I have in mine).

3. signatus thread starter macrumors member

signatus

Thanks for your reply. Just checked it out, and I only have 2GB of RAM. Do you think that will be a serious problem?

4. dumb macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

signatus: if you have 2Gb, I strongly suggest, you don't upgrade. I have 2011 MBP with 4Gb. Lion itself takes, 1.4-1.6 gb, safari will fun you the other half a gig.

5. signatus thread starter macrumors member

signatus

Thanks a lot. I'll have to find out if it suits me better to upgrade the ram or have a new Mac, though the one I have runs like magic.

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

RAM is cheap and simple to upgrade, if your machine is running OK then just upgrade unless you have been wanting a new MBP anyway. Visit either www.macsales.com (OWC) or Crucial to find the right RAM for your machine.