Upgrading to Lion from Snow leopard on two drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NikFinn, Jul 3, 2011.

1. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Hey guys,

As the Lion Golden Master is out, the app store launch is surely imminent. Currently I have a two drive set-up in my macbook pro. I have the OS and Applications on my SSD (in the optibay), and my home folder with media on my 1TB drive (in the HDD slot). My question is how will upgrading go with Lion? Optimally, I'll just hit install and everything will be exactly the same with locations of files, but does anyone know if this is the case?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

No, most likely no one really knows, but there's no reason it won't work flawlessly. Your OS and apps are on the same drive as they should be. It's irrelevant where your home directory is. That's stored in the Open Directory settings which will just be migrated over from Snow Leopard, so I would expect nothing strange from your setup.

3. IGotuBagged macrumors member

I just installed OS X Lion GM on my 2011 MPB with dual drives. Everything remains the same regarding file locations. Make sure when you download Lion that the image file is on your main hard drive; I had the problem where the image file was in the storage drive so Lion did not want to install.

4. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Did you just upgrade straight over snow leopard with no problems? If so, great news.

5. StandardMeth0d macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

Sorry to grave dig this thread, but I wanted to know how this worked out for everyone that did this. Success? Any problems? Thanks in advance!