Upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fterh, Jan 28, 2012.

1. fterh macrumors member

Hi,

I have a question regarding upgrading to Lion.

I did some research on the Internet and it seems there are 2 ways to upgrade to Lion:

1) After buying Lion off App Store, run it and it'll do its magic and once it's done and restarted - presto, Lion ready for action.

2) After buying Lion off App Store, open the package and burn the InstallESD.dmg to a DVD/USB drive/etc. and reboot from there.

So what are the differences between these two methods?

And say I want to try out Lion before buying; if I download a pirated copy of Lion, the instructions say to install via method #2 (InstallESD.dmg way), but can I install it using method #1?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...doing option 1 deletes the installer when it's finished, option 2 (or a combo of 1 & 2 - burn the image then run the install as in option 1) gives you a disc you can use on *your* other Mac (if you have one) without having to download again (for some bandwidth is an issue), or just for having a handy bootable disc to carry around in case of emergency. As far as your option 3 goes, nobody here should be giving any kind of advice when it comes to pirating no matter what your intent may be....oh yeah!

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Option 1 deletes the downloaded installer.app? I never had that happen to me, mind you I used the developer beta's..... :confused:

4. fterh thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks a lot! Another thing: It's personal preference but I always prefer clean installs of OSes. So if I want to do a clean install I need to do option #2, right? Or can I do option #1 WITH clean install?

And I have Bootcamp running Windows 7. Will upgrading/clean installing Lion preserve Bootcamp, or will it break it?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

You do realise that all option #1 does, is create a temporary partition, copy the InstallESD.dmg to it, and boot from it.... Right?

Once the app does its thing, you are presented with the "usual" installer screen like with Snow Leopard, it gives you access to Disk Utility, restore Time Machine, Terminal, etcetc. Basically - you can reformat/etc from option #1. =

6. fterh thread starter macrumors member

Really? I didn't know that, thanks for clearing that up! :D

What about bootcamp? Should I expect any problems?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

It doesn't touch the BC partition, so I wouldn't worry at all.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Really, to save $29.99 you'd pirate it?!!! :mad: