Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
USA
My grandfather has been wanting to upgrade his iLife (currently has the version that was current in 2007) for a while now, and I have been telling him to hold off till iLife '11. He also has Tiger OS. I was just wondering if his machine would be able to handle the new software?

Their machine is as follows:

2007 iMac 2.0 gHz core 2 duo, 3gb ram (they had a 1gb stick to begin with, then bought a 2gb down the road) 250gb HDD.

I really don't know how these things work: if upgrading to new software on older machines slows them down, or speeds them up :confused:? Can anyone answer that for me, please? In my past experience, on our pc, whenever we ugpraded windows versions, it seemed to make it slower, not faster.

Also, would getting another 2gb stick of ram be beneficial (to make it 2 and 2, instead of 1 and 2), or would they see roughly the same performance? They only do the internet and organize photos (no editing) using iPhoto.

I realize they need At least Snow Leopard to get the newest iLife, but they might as well wait till Lion instead of paying for both. Would Lion/Snow Leopard slow their machine down more so than one or the other, or would it speed it up?

I have a MacBook Pro 2009 version, I had the same questions regarding the speed issue and upgrading to the latest software.

Thanks for all of your help. I hope it wasn't too confusing to read

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have a MacBook Pro Late 2006 with Snow Leopard, adding iLife '11 later today. I would actually go for Snow Leopard now, it's a very cheap upgrade. It'll run smoothly on any Intel Mac and even better than Tiger. Tiger was SO many years ago now, you NEED to update.

SiliBear

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Unlike my experiences on the PC side of things, I've not known Mac software upgrades to slow a machine down (could be that I just haven't experienced any myself at least). Like the previous poster mentioned though, upgrading to Snow Leopard should actually show *improved* computer performance as it actually sped numerous processes up from Leopard.

So my advice to you would be...get both.

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
USA
Thanks guys! I will be getting both then (and the family pack of iLife so I can sneak an install in too!) =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.