upgrading to Lion - need to reformat my Time Machine disk?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by btownguy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

So I'm planning on upgrading to Lion soon. What are the ramifications for my Time Machine disk? Will I need to reformat that disk before using it as a Time Machine for Lion? Just seems a little weird to have a series of differential backups on there with multiple OS's involved.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nope, just keep using it. It will keep track of the different updates without issue. If it didn't, it wouldn't be much of a backup system.

jW

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't need to do anything. Just keep on using Time Machine like you always have.

If you want to, you can do what I did. I waited a week with Lion, then deleted the TM backup and started with a fresh one just to reduce the size of the backup, but you don't need to do this otherwise.

4. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only issue I can think of is if you had your backup drive in a different format than HFS+. but that would require quite a bit of hacking to accomplish.