Upgrading to Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wreckie, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Wreckie macrumors regular

Basically I have Lion installer downloaded earlier from AppStore. I am still running SL and now I am considering to upgrade it. Do I need to back up things or all programs and stuff will remain on HD when upgrading?

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

All your stuff including Apps and your files should remain unchanged. Backup your stuff using Time Machine is always a good idea :)

3. Wreckie thread starter macrumors regular

So this is not going to full format and just upgrades what is changed?

4. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Lion is installed over the top of SL nothing else changes i.e. documents files etc. all remain unchanged.

5. Parkin Pig, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

Definitely perform a Time Machine backup before you install Lion. Firstly as a safety measure, and secondly because you may not like Lion - it's been a very contentious update, and you may want to change back to SL until a few issues are sorted. I installed Lion on my iMac and my MacBook Pro, then reverted back to SL on both as I found it to be very dumbed-down for an Apple product and I absolutely hate the autosave function. Of course that is only my opinion, but I would suggest you should have a contingency plan in case you don't get on with Lion.

6. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can do either upgrade will leave all your apps as they are unless they need Rosetta or are old apps you might have to get an update :) I did the update at first! But I've also done the full format n install option as had too much clutter and only run a few apps these days!

You need to decide if you can be bothered to install the apps that's what swayed it for me :)