Upgrading to Lion...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdeez, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Macdeez macrumors member

So today I bought lion off of the app store and after it downloaded I began the installation all looking good till now. It starts installing and a few minutes into the installation it says that my hard drive is damaged and needs to be repaired and it asked if it should try restarting the system and installing lion again. I repeated this process like 5 times until I decided to try repairing my hard drive using the disk utility. After trying to repair multiple times and getting an error message everytime telling me that my hard drive is damaged I tried restoring it from the backups saved on my external hard drive but that didn't work either because when time machine tried to find the hard drive on my mac it wasn't detecting it. After all that I just tried reinstalling OSX Snow Leopard but then I got the same error as the one I got when I tried installing Lion "Hard Drive needs to be repaired..."

Help :(

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Just a hunch, but you might need a new hard drive...

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

yeah unfortunately i think that's the case... is your MBP under applecare/warranty? can you get a new one free? in any case, i think you need a new HDD/SSD. sorry :/

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

If it's not under AppleCare, a Weatern Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 7200rpm drive is only $110 shipped from NewEgg.

Or if you want to go SSD, I recommend a OCZ Vertex 3, or Vertex 2 if you want to save some cash and don't mind having a last gen drive.

5. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is still under applecare but there's only one thing I'm dreading and its if they refuse to repair it because there's a minor bump on the side of my MBP because it fell around 3 months ago. Weird thing is my hard drive was working fine until I decided to upgrade so it might not be from the fall? hmm

One more question guys... Would apple be able to retrieve any files on my hard drive and move them to an external hard drive? I have many files that I do not want to lose and have to redownload again :(.

Thank you all very much!

6. GuitarG20, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i would be surprised if they refused to give you new harddrive because of a bump... the SMS would have shut the hard drive down before it hit so that's irrelevant in my eyes.

you should be able to restore from your backup once you get the new HDD... or are there things that aren't in your backup?

7. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

My backup is a bit old since I've never kept it up to date, it has a few things but there are still many things like movies, music, tv shows etc that are on my mbp but not on the backup.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Make a new backup before going in, Apple won't back up your drive for you or anything like that.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

duh. Forgot about that. you can still boot SL right? just back it up from there.

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Wow that's just a really bad timing when you want to try the latest OS version and your HDD is going out.

11. xdbuix macrumors 6502

In my honest opinion, i think you just stick it out with snow leopard. I've been on Lion for awhile and I still believe Apple still needs to work out a few kinks in Lion. Snow Leopard is better than Lion right now.

12. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Thing is I can't get back to SL or if I can I really don't know how to because everytime I press the power button it takes me to the installation screen of lion... but when I tried reinstalling SL using the CD it actually told me that an SL system was detected on the hard drive.

I am travelling in a few days and the apple serviceman said that it could take longer and I need to have my laptop with me, SL or Lion it doesn't matter, so if there's a way to boot into SL please tell me how and ill just use it until I have time to fix my hard drive problem and install it.

Thank you :)

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

The Apple guy saying it could take longer than a few days is BS. They can change out a HD in less than 10min, when I went to get my GFs HD replaced(it was still working, but clicking) even with having to speak to 2 "genesises" because the first said since SMART didn't say anything it was fine(the 2nd guy knew what he was doing, put his ear to the body of the MBP and said "that doesn't sound good at all") it took less than a hour.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

why are you waiting for before you travel in few days??? Go and get a new hard drive then install SL or Lion..and you have to deal with your data on your dying hard drive when you get back from traveling.

15. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

The problem is I don't live in a country where they have official apple stores so there's no genius bar or anything like that... They have to send it to the service center for repair and then its not really in my hands because god knows where the service center is. The shop I bought my MBP from is an authorised retailer for apple.

I am travelling to england for university and I'm thinking that I should just repair it over there but I'm going to need my laptop for university but if it takes less than an hour then I guess I'll just fix it over there.

16. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

if you have the money, you can always just buy a 3rd party HDD, instal SL on it, and use that till you get back. Then you can swap the broken (suspectedly, at least) HDD back in and go from there.