Upgrading to Mac OS X 10.7

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by NameTheUser, Apr 8, 2012.

1. NameTheUser macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a little problem. At the moment I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8, but I'd like to upgrade to 10.7. I know that in order to do so, you have to be on 10.6 but the Snow Leopard Install Disk isn't sold in the retail stores anymore. What should I do?

2. surianto macrumors newbie

you can ordersnow leopard from apple store online, i.e if you live in uk then go to this link:
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC573

3. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Hang on if your still on leopard that must mean your on a fairly old machine and snow leopard will probably give you better performance with the hardware your running. I know that my MacBook ran slower when I upgraded to lion and its a 2010 model (specs below). Obviously if you need a service like iCloud because you were a previous mobile me user then you kinda have no choice.

4. NameTheUser thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a 2008 Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook that I want to upgrade. But what if I just upgrade it to 10.6? As you mentioned, that 10.7 would make MacBook slow.

5. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Yes 10.6 is a must. A 2008 isn't that bad but a bit more ram would help if you wanted to go on 10.7. I would go onto 10.6 and then if you fell like there are features that you want that are missing then I would say a little upgrade like 4gb of ram to get 10.7 to run nice.

I hope this helps :)

6. NameTheUser thread starter macrumors newbie

But I still have a problem, where can I find the Snow Leopard Install Disk? There aren't any Apple Retail Stores in my country, only resellers, but they don't seem to have those install disks on sale anymore. :D

7. laudern macrumors 6502a

just go on ebay and buy SL. No cd key is required so it doesnt even matter if the disc is 2nd hand

8. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Lauden is exactly right and e-bay will be cheaper than the apple store website.