Upgrading to Mac OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tutiplain, Jul 12, 2012.

1. tutiplain macrumors member

Hi all,

I've been looking forward to upgrading to Max OS X Lion to take advantage of the new features. Unfortunately, for some reason my Mac App Store does not seem to work. Whenever I try to buy something, the Buy button simply takes me back to the product description. I've tried reinstalling the App Store app, but to no avail.

So I thought I could perhaps buy a disc version of OS X Lion, but apparently it was never released on disc. Does anyone know if this is true? Or how I can fix my App Store so I can download it? Thanks for any help!

2. jypatl macrumors newbie

Not sure why that isn't working, but why not wait for Mountain Lion OSX to come out in a couple weeks? You would save some money.

3. tutiplain thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know that Mountain Lion will be released soon, so I guess I'll wait for it. However, do you know if THAT one will be available to buy on disc? 'Cause if it isn't I'll still be stuck with the same problem :(

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I recommend, if possible, to take your machine into the Apple store and have them fix it. Mountain Lion will be download only . . . as far as I know.

My question is, do I need to have Lion installed first? Or can I go right from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion? I own Lion and have it on one of my machines, but my office machine I left Snow Leopard on it.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

You can't purchase ML unless your account shows that you purchased Lion. Or so i hear.

I'm sure you can do a clean install from boot media, but as far as the app store goes, I'm suspect you'll need Lion either in your purchase history or registered to your AppleID before you can buy it.

There was a thread on here with some guy having problems downloading the GM or something because Lion wasn't attached to his AppleID - even if you're a dev, the ML download is done through the app store.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

7. joetwizzy macrumors member

I've heard that it does not require lion. :confused:

8. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

You get ML for free if you recently purchased a Mac, such as the 2012 MBA or MBP. Apple will send emails to qualifying owners explaining how to get ML for free.

9. speedplay1 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know for certain whether a "clean install" can be done with
    Mountain Lion? I spoke with a salesperson at Apple and was told a clean install wasn't possible because Mountain Lion is an upgrade which requires drivers from Lion! If this is truly the case, are we looking at more lipstick on a pig? So what happens if the "upgrade" becomes corrupt with drivers from Lion? I hope the information I was given by the Apple salesperson was a misunderstanding on his part.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That person is mistaken, there are many posts on the forums here from ML GM users who have done a disk format and fresh install and it works without Lion.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I'm eligible to skip Lion at no cost, paying just the standard upgrade fee for Mountain Lion. That's my plan.

Here's proof:

"If you are running Snow Leopard (10.6.x), update to the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard before you purchase OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store."

http://goo.gl/pzvrf

12. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Interesting. The other guy who had issues must have had no purchases of any version of OS X registered to his account or something.

But the error he received was that his account did not show any version of Lion associated with his account....