Upgrading to MacBook Pro, Migration Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nomar383, Feb 25, 2008.

1. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

So, I just bought a macbook pro off of ebay and I'm pretty excited about it. Here's my hang-up:

1. The new macbook pro has some things still on the HD, so I'm going to want to wipe it clean. However, I no longer have the leopard DVD, I just have a clean install of it on a FW400 external HD. I have restored my current laptop with it before with no problems. Will there be an issue because the leopard install on the external drive was made from a G4 powerbook?

2. I want to be able to install boot-camp, but my powerbook doesn't have the Boot Camp Assistant. When I restore the new macbook pro with my Powerbook's time machine backup how will I get the Boot Camp Assistant? Will it just appear? I think not. Can I just copy the Boot Camp Assistant from the macbook pro before I format it? Then get the drivers from other sources?

3. Anyone have any experience running Steam (Orange Box, CS:S) from boot-camp? Does it run well? This is my main motivation for using boot-camp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

1 + 2: I'm really not sure on this but I'd REALLY recommend finding a friend with a Leopard install DVD or something to make a clean install rather than trying anything tricky like this...

Where I can help you is...
    3: The Orange Box runs like sex. It can run pretty good on max settings, but crank it down just a tad and you'll have great framerates on any of the included games.

3. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

I know someone that just got an iMac that has restore DVDs, will these work? Or only with the iMac?

4. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Everything I've heard leads me to believe that the restore DVDs are model specific... I guess you could give it a try since I doubt it could hurt but I'm not so sure it'll work.

5. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Okay, I've thought of another possible solution. Can I just use migration assistant on the new MBP and restore from my powerbook time machine backup? Will this overwrite all of the old data on the MBP? or add my users to the list? Any tips?

Also, if this solution works, I need to make this a little more complicated lol. I am upgrading the HD on the MBP as well. Once I get it all set up, if my migration assistant theory works, should I just use SuperDuper! for a bootable backup? And copy that over to the new HD via the Tiger Install Disc Utility? Thanks!

6. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

How about this? Could I install leopard from the new iMac install DVDs onto my external drive and then use the external drive to copy to the MBP? Then would I have a fully intel, ready to go install?

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Install Leopard on the new drive when it's already in the Mac... I've been lead to believe that installing OSX on an external drive causes a whole lotta headaches.

8. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Oh wait! Can I put in the new HD on the MBP, then link it up to the iMac via firewire, boot up into target disk mode on the MBP, and then install leopard from the DVD on the iMac?

9. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

OK, nobody else has suggested this, so I will . . . go to Amazon and buy Leopard for $109 and install to your heart's content.

11. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Cute :) lol thanks

Actually, I think I will end up having to buy it again, plus its handy to have around for situations such as this

12. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

'zactly;)