Upgrading to Mavericks on a DIY fusion drive

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Drudoo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Drudoo macrumors newbie

I have been wondering for some time if it will be safe to upgrade to mavericks from ML when using a DIY fusion drive. Right now my macbook runs smoothly with the FS, but i would like to use Mavericks.

Have anyone tried this on the DP or have a theory about it?

2. monksealpup macrumors regular

I have a homebrew Fusion drive and it all works well/transparently on 10.9 13A598 and 13A603.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Apple created both CoreStorage and 10.9. You have no worries.

4. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Anyone tried to use the DIY tutorials from scratch with Mavericks? I happen to be getting my SSD setup tomorrow and it would be good to know if it's worth the work/time.

5. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

I just created a fusion drive and then installed 10.9. Everything seems ok. I'm wondering if I created the drive correctly. I used this command in terminal:

diskutil coreStorage createVolume UUID jhfs+ "Fusion Drive" 100%

6. Middleman-77 macrumors member

There is a great guide on blog.macsales.com that shows you how from scratch:

http://blog.macsales.com/15617-creating-your-own-fusion-drive

However what they have missed is that if you have a drive that already has existing data, you can still create a Fusion Drive on it! This is because the Fusion Drive creation process merges the drive's data. I have done this before on a Mac Mini to know. Just make sure you have backed up your data using something like Superduper to clone the drive. Time Machine backup is okay, but it is not the best backup (as it doesn't backup every single little thing unlike Superduper).

As for the best way to upgrade a Fusion system to Mavericks, my suggestion would be to start clean to get the best results. Backup your existing data via Superduper to a single USB drive/dock/Thunderbolt drive just in case things go wrong. For Thunderbolt I use a Seagate 3.5" Thunderbolt Adapter for Seagate Expansion drives (which is a huge asset in terms of saving time - 1 hour is usually more than enough to do a complete drive restore/clone). Once you've done this, boot from the external Thunderbolt/USB copy pressing the Option key and selecting the external drive so it boots into the Desktop. If you have an SSD installed for the Fusion, I would suggest you have it installed first before you try booting this way.

Once you have finished booting into OSX, you can use Disk Utility to format your existing main drive, then open Terminal and following the Macsales guide to create your Fusion drive. Once that is created you can then run the Mavericks installer, and point it to install onto the Fusion Drive you have just created.

Restart your machine using your new main drive and you will come across the Mavericks setup section to setup Mavericks on your Fusion Drive. Create a username which is different to the one you normally use ie. JaneSmith instead of JoeSmith, and finish the installer. Then with your USB/Thunderbolt drive plugged in, go to Utilities > Migration Assistant and ask to migrate data from an external drive. The program will migrate all the data and preferences from your old copy, and mark which softwares are incompatible. When it finishes, select Apple > Log Out, then log into your normal account ie. JoeSmith and go to System Preferences > User and delete the new user account you created for the install process ie. JaneSmith. When you restart the machine again it will look just like your old setup, except be running on the Fusion Drive.

7. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

My home-brew FD was original created by diskutil 10.8.4. and I have upgraded to Mavericks on it with no problem.

The bigger question for me is whether it would be a Good Thing to recreate the FD using 10.9.

CoreStorage and Fusion Drives are young technology. We know there were changes in Fusion Drives created by 10.8.3 and later.

Will a Fusion Drive created by 10.9 have improved algorithms for moving blocks between SSD and HDD for example? ...or maybe since it is actually CoreStorage which does the clever stuff, any change is present in a 10.9 install, even if the FD was created by by an earlier OS.

I will probably recreate mine for peace of mind!

Any insights?

8. asriznet macrumors regular

Attempted to do fusion an SSD + HDD while running OS X 10.9 on an external HDD.

installed OS X 10.9 to the fusion drive and everything works except it won't boot to safe mode.

anyone else got safe mode to work?

Found a thread in Apple discussion forum: Cannot Do A Safe Boot In Mavericks

affected machines seems to be computers with coreStorage volumes.

weird though that safe boot works fine with Fusion drive running on OS X 10.8