upgrading to Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Chuchichan, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

Hi...just wondering what the best way is to upgrade to OS X Mavericks. I've always like to do a "fresh" install. I currently have Mountain Lion. When I purchased the Mountain Lion upgrade I installed it on a USB key.

If I want to upgrade to Mavericks doing a "fresh" install, what is the best way to proceed? Or do you recommend just upgrading to Mavericks through the App Store?

Thanks.

2. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

I did it through the Appstore and it worked, but I don't think it makes much difference the way you install it.
    Another way to do it is boot to recovery and do a clean install from there, Mavericks will be downloaded over Wi-Fi and be installed. I did that with another MBP of a friend of mine. Both methods worked flawlessly, so I don't think it really matters. Just choose the way you like the most.

3. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. So, to do boot recovery for a clean install, would I still need my Mountain Lion USB key? What's the proper way to do it?

4. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

I just rebooted while holding the OPTION key, which makes it boot into recovery. From there I chose clean install, then I had to enter my Apple ID and it downloaded the latest version of Mavericks over Wi-Fi and installed it afterwards. It did take a while though, but probably because my Wi-Fi is pretty slow. I recommend fast Wi-Fi, ethernet, or grabbing a sandwich.

5. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

I see...so you upgraded from ML as well? What if you didn't want to upgrade to Mavericks and do a clean install of ML?

6. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Hmm I don't know about ML, probably USB install.. Haven't tried that though. Yes I upgraded from ML to Mavericks the recovery way. I guess recovery reinstall just always puts the latest OS X on your Mac. But as I already said, as for Mavericks I don't think the way you choose to install it matters at all. If you would rather like to use the Appstore, that's fine.

7. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. Sounds good. I will give it a try. Thanks very much for your replies.

8. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

To be 100% sure you better just upgrade the Appstore way. I know someone who used internet recovery and that it just reinstalled ML instead of Mavericks lol. Maybe that happened because it was very close after the official release. Anyway it didn't happen to me, I immediately got Mavericks on my friend's Macbook, not ML again.