Upgrading to MBA, but where to sell my Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by enochpeng, Jan 30, 2008.

1. enochpeng macrumors regular

I think i've made my mind and only few hundred dollars away from the shinny MBA. But the question is that where can i get the most out of my old Macbook Core Duo 2.0Ghz with 2GB RAM and 60GB HD....

Any suggestion that approximately how much should i be expecting....

Thanks a lot in advance

PS> I live in Canada....so I;ve to pay a premium on MBA for living up north...
    sad...

2. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Predicting at least one message querying whether it is indeed an upgrade.

You could try eBay. List it at how much you'd be happy at getting. If it doesn't sell then you can always relist at lower. I think you get one relist for free.

3. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

ebay

Go to ebay and find 2-3 that are identical to yours and watch them. This should give you an idea.

The MBA will not be much of an upgrade in power, only much more thin.

1st post with iPhone.

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

And aluminumness.

5. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Wouldn't this technically be a downgrade, considering speed differences, etc..

Still... the MBA is a beautiful machine it looks like.

6. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

Hah.. thank you all for the replies. and congrads to your first post on iPhone.

Well, will the MBA be even slower than my nearly 2 yr old MB?

I have an iMac 24" 2.4G with 4GB Ram at home so I just want something portable for traveling and some school usage..

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

MBA is a fine upgrade to a MB or even MBP if size and weight are the concerns the .2 - .4 GHz differences is very minimal at best and in most day to day tasks with a core2duo chip you will find its down clocked its self to 1.1 GHz.
    Anyway unless you are playing games or encoding or anything stressful but in most cases the extra ram is more necessary. What would you say if it didn't use the custom 1.6 and 1.8 GHz processors and used the of the shelf 1.1 - 1.2 GHz ULV processor intel gives to everyone else making a laptop of such tight dimensions these are really really fast chips for the size and temperature constraints and how apple managed to get .4 - .6 GHz faster chips into such a small space when most only fit the 1.2 GHz in is quite something.
    But the most important point to make is why blast a thread with "isn't that a downgrade" i did not see in the title nor decryption the OP asking at any point if the MBA was worth the upgrade of the MB, no the OP asked how best to sell his MB and my only answer to that is look to family and friends first you never know who you can make happy with a gift or cut price deal.

8. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Ebay. Find the mean selling cost and put yours up with a reserve at that price point.

9. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

http://www.mac2sell.net/

Goto this site, it should tell you how much your mac is generally worth, use it as a base for deciding the price.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Ebay. The amount people are willing to pay for used Macs boggles the mind. With me having purchased refurbs on my last couple of computers, I usually end up breaking even-- or even making money on the sale of my computer every other upgrade cycle.

If you choose this route you may want to restrict bidding to persons with a couple feedbacks under their belt, or have them contact you first. Also, you may want to note in your description that you will absolutely not ship to Nigeria, etc. as Apple Computers in my experience; attract an abundance of scammers.

Good Luck!

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The thread title is “Upgrading to MBA”, which implies the OP thinks they are getting an upgrade. Whilst the MacBook Air is a far more attractive product, it's questionable whether it represents an upgrade. It matches at best the base features of the original MacBooks (Memory it beats, it comes with 2GB standard, whereas the original MacBooks could be upgraded to 2GB).

Good idea.

This is the first thing when I thought when I saw the title. The MacBook Air is slower than any MacBook, even the ones released nearly two years ago now.

Yes, the Hard Disk Drive is spins slower too (unless you've gone for SSD), which means longer boot times, launching Applications etc. Your big advantage is you are getting a 64bit processor over a 32 bit processor.

13. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

oh....

So it's gonna be even slower than my current MacBook....
    I thought it would be slightly faster since it has a newer processor and newer chipset......

but would it be very noticeable while doing regular work like web surfing word keynotes music and movies (sometimes work with iMovie and Final Cut Express and also Pixelmator and Photoshop)

14. writeous macrumors regular

Please dont do this. The only advantage of a MBA over a MB is being 2 pounds lighter.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

MacWorld has an excellent review of the MacBook Air. Here is a copy of the benchmark tests they ran. I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

16. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your info
    I think i will stick with the MBA since it's so light and portable compare to my MB unless they come out with a new MBP real soon.