upgrading to MBP - how to run Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcx3, Jul 1, 2008.

1. dcx3 macrumors member

Looking to upgrade from my iBook to a MBP. I would like to be able to run Windows - but I dont know what all is needed to do that though.

My school allows each student a free copy of Vista and Office 2007 Student. I would like to take advantage of that, since its free, ad put it on the future MBP.

is the bottom line MBP good for running both OSX and Windows? I would probably chose to have 4mb or ram

thanks!

2. ManWithhat macrumors regular

There are different ways of running both OSes. You can use bootcamp, which will completely boot you into Windows on a restart. You could also use a virtual machine (www.vmware.com) to emulate Windows in a window on TOP of OSX. Google around for some guides on the matter, as it's a pretty long explanation for either method.

3. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I'm running Vista and Office 2007 when I need it with my MBP. If you want native speeds you would use Bootcamp that comes with Leopard for free. It's easy to set up, but you have to boot into Windows each time.

If you want to run both OS X and Windows at the same time you will need a program such as Parallels or VMware Fusion. You have to pay for those, but they have free trials.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's extremely easy, if you can read this, you can install windows on your mac. Just follow the instructions in the boot camp assistant.

5. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

if you want to stay with the free route, then bootcamp is the way to go. Apple guides you through the entire process with bootcamp.

The only thing some might consider a negative is the fact you have to reboot to get into windows, and vice versa to get back to OS X.

You can run a virtual OS, and along that route there are a couple of different options. I've only used parallel's version, and with my limited time using it, was fairly nice. Only caveat with a virtual OS environment is you're going to want more ram.

If you're using Vista, then definitely go w/ 4gb.

6. dcx3 thread starter macrumors member

I think i'd just stick with bootcamp, for the times i would use vista it'll be ok to just reboot.

now this questions may be a little dumb...but would having vista on my machine, make it susceptible to all those microsoft viruses and such? would I need to purchase a virus protection , spyware etc...just for vista?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you're afraid of viruses, just don't go on the internet on the windows side of things, you'll never catch anything that way.

Otherwise just get a free anti-virus like AVG and ad-aware and you'll be plenty fine.

8. ManWithhat macrumors regular

Your Windows viruses (you CAN get them) won't affect your OSX system, but they can be obtained. Install AVG, Firefox 3.0 + NoScript (addon) and it'll be pretty easy to avoid viruses.