upgrading to mountain lion question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RH5, Jul 25, 2012.

1. RH5 macrumors newbie

I just bought a mac about a month ago so I never had the dilemma of upgrading the OS. I just wanted to ask how upgrading works? Mountain Lion is supposedly coming out today. Would I have to back up all my files????? is upgrading like starting fresh or does the OS just upgrade with all my files?????? thanks.

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

It just upgrades your OS, none of your personal files are touched.
    It's just as simple as installing an app (albeit a very big app!)

I'd back up important files to be safe incase something goes wrong, but otherwise it's just a matter of pressing a few buttons.

3. RH5 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright thanks man. and when you say app what does that mean. is it on the app store or do we go on apples website I can't seem to find it anywhere

4. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

When ML is released later today it will appear on the Mac App Store. Simply purchase it as you would any other app and it will download and install. Be aware though that the download will be big! Probably 4-5Gb!

5. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

It'll be on the AppStore, there will likely be a big banner advertising it.

You can't find it anywhere because it hasn't been released yet, but it will be released sometime today ("today" being July 25th in California)!
    I'd guess within the next 7 hours.

6. Pared3s macrumors regular

Since you are eligible for a free upgrade, assuming your Mac was purchased after June 11, go here when Mountain Lion is released to get it:

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

7. RH5 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow mountain lion is out but i have to wait because apple has to validate my purchase then email me a code -.- how long is that gonna take :(

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

No one's codes seem to be working right now. There's apparently a problem in the system. I'm sure Apple is working on getting it fixed, but it makes sense that they might not send out any new codes until they get things working properly. Try to be patient and everything will be fine. :)

9. RH5 thread starter macrumors newbie

i couldn't wait lol i just went and bought it 20 bucks isnt really much. ill prob post my code here when it comes later