upgrading to new imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Prozak0820, May 14, 2015.

1. Prozak0820 macrumors regular

Prozak0820

Im thinking about getting a new iMac but i dont know which one i really do prefer a 27 inch. Ill mainly be using it for Producing music, cad, and some everyday use.

2. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Read the other threads:

- Intel's CPU roadmap is a mess. Far from certain Apple will update iMacs (and maybe even Macbooks) with Broadwell this summer. Skylake is supposed to arrive in fall. Apart from that, the improvements for Broadwell and Skylake are mainly on the GPU and power/TDP. CPU-wise it will be a marginal improvement.
    - If you want a 27" go for a retina screen.... if your budget is sufficient of course.
    - Upgrade the RAM yourself. +16 GB = ~125 USD, while Apple charges 200 USD for 16 GB
    - Go for at least a fusion drive, if you have the money take a SSD
    - For your usage an i5 is ok, No need for a i7
    - Probably also ok to go with the baseline GPU (saves you another few hundered USD/EUR)

3. keysofanxiety, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

As the poster above me mentioned, Intel's roadmap is a little hiccupy. However I'd definitely suggest that it's worth waiting until WWDC next month to see if they do update the iMacs. I believe the current iMacs were last released in late 2013 (with the exception of the Retina model).