Upgrading to new iPhone in Canada (on Rogers)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doju, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Is there a guide somewhere on how to go about this/where to start?

I bought a 3G (first time Rogers user) on launch day on a three year contract with Rogers (8gb - $199). Now that the new one is coming out, well, I'm interested. Is it possible/economically sound to buy one? Or will I be looking at incredible prices?

If I ask Rogers if I can upgrade to the new phone, will they basically make me pay the equivalent of the ETF? Or will they offer it for the the subsidized price again but require me to put on another three years - or no three years? (Dang, that'd be five years of contractness, ah well.)

And in either solution, will they let me keep my iPhone 3G (like, so I can sell it. Take SIM card out, etc.)? Or will they make me cough that up regardless? (Don't see what that would help, it's scratched.)

After I cancel it, do I just put it up on eBay, take out SIM Card, ship it for the cash and we're good?

Could I like just remove the SIM Card now, sell it, and they'd never know/there would be no effect? And when the new one comes out just bring my SIM card and give it to the Rogers people?

Oh, and I just got a replacement phone, still in refurbed casing. If I put that in the box my iPhone 3G came in when I bought it from the Rogers store, it'd look brand new. How much could I get for a 8GB iPhone 3G for that?

Really guys, just looking for some help here. Will I be looking at something crazy price-wise? Will it be feasible? Any light shone would be helpful, do any of you have experience in this?

2. Pooshka macrumors 65816

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Huh? The OP's post wasn't a review...just so you know ;)

4. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

5. Pooshka macrumors 65816

6. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

I emailed Rogers today and asked them a similar question.
    Cause I too bought on July 11th, and am looking to buy the next iPhone.

I'll let you know what they say.
    But I did ask earlier, & I never really got a strait answer, but it was something to the affect that after 1 year, you get a discount on upgrading.. But I'm not sure if it will be off of the full price or the subsidized price..

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'd like to know as well, although I'm still not sure that A) there will be a new phone this summer, and B) if it would be worth upgrading to.

8. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

No one knows how Rogers will handle iPhone upgrades. Technically smartphone owners are only eligible to upgrade every 2 years. My guess is you should be prepared to fork out a lot of cash if you want to upgrade. That's the cost of taking a phone subsidy.

9. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I would imagine that Rogers, as any company would, would be too greedy and profit-minded to not allow iPhone 3G users to upgrade at the discounted, subsidized price. Why? Because what company, in their right mind, would say no to forcing their users into locking their contracts for another 3 years?

Rogers is the worst when it comes to maximizing shareholder profit and ripping off their users, so there's no way they would ever say "No, don't give us more money"