Upgrading to new iPhone while still under 2 year contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guy101, Apr 20, 2009.

1. guy101 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I just got an iphone back in Sept. of last year (not really planning on it my old phone died). I thought 8GB would be plenty of space at the time, but I was sadly mistaken. My memory is currently almost full, so I was wondering how I could go about exchanging this one for a 16GB or maybe the one that will most likely come out in the summer. I have the 2-year contract with AT&T and I don't really know if they can transfer the bill over to the new one? Please don't tell me I would have to pay for 2 iphones just have a few extra GB!! Any help would be appreciated...

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Do search, tons of threads on this. You cant exchange your phone, that is pretty obvious why even ask. You could sell your 8gb and buy a 16gb.

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Not entirely. I believe that when the 3G came out last summer there was some program for upgrading. Just keep an ear open.

4. guy101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. And I have looked, but every thread is full of conflicting messages so I thought maybe I could get a straight answer here.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You wont get a straight answer cause noone knows for sure.
    You'll have to wait for the Apple/AT&T announcement.
    My guess is they'll allow an early upgrade like they did last year.

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Umm... yes, you would.
    You think you can just trade in your old one, pay a nominal fee, and they give you a new one?
    Get real, dude.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some people think its like a car, you can trade it in any time you want for a newer model or if you want a different color or more options.

8. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

The reason that you could upgrade last year was because the original iPhone was not subsidized. The 3G was subsidized so most likely you need to finish out your two year contract just like any other phone. Best case scenario they let you restart your two year contract and get the new one, but I wouldn't count on it.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I can see a modified version of the current plans as long as the unsubsidized price doesn't change, though who knows when this will show for the next generation iPhones.

Still an extra $200 upfront is a hefty fee to not mess with and extend your current contract to two years again.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Last year even if you didnt have an original iphone you could do an early upgrade and pay $399 for the 8GB and $499 for the 16GB.

11. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This is why we need a sticky :rolleyes:

12. vipergts2207 macrumors 6502a

vipergts2207

13. Aurial macrumors 6502

The only thing that I think might go towards you being allowed to upgrade each year is the hefty fee you pay for the phone in the first place.

For example (and I have said this elsewhere):

Here in the UK the 16GB iPhone 3G is £391.27 on Pay As You Go, which is equivallent to the Sim Free price since you buy the phone outright.

By comparisson, the Nokia N96 is £454.99 Sim Free.

When I purchased my 16GB iPhone 3G last July I paid £160 initial fee for the phone (now its dropped to £57.74) on an 18 month contract at £35 a month.

Again, by comparison, if you bought the Nokia N96 on an 18 month £35 a month contract you would get the handset for free, even though it's more expensive.

My point is, that this initial offsetting of the price by the consumer, i.e. that £160 premium we paid for the handset, will certainly mean that the networks have probably already (or at least by June/July) made their money back on the phone.

I'm as sceptical as anyone else about whether there will be an early upgrade path for current users this year, but from a financial point of view I don't think that the networks will be losing anything by allowing it.

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Not going to happen unless you buy a refurb or pay full price $599 or whatever it is now.

15. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Yes, because your paying off your $200 subsidy. With the right amount of money anything can happen lol. I just got the impression the OP was asking if it could be done for the subsidized price, I could be wrong.

16. Stiss macrumors 6502a

I live in the UK and i asked O2 if i could buy a 16Gb refurb from them and they said nope. I asked why not and they didn't really give me a real answer.

Does anyone know where you can buy them from if anywhere, and has anyone had any success in purchasing one either from O2 or Apple.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

thank you...can we have this point stickied so people don't keep asking about it? We're just more of the flock now, AT&T isn't going to give us special love because we bought a subsidized phone from them.

18. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

According to what I have read on AT&T site, I can purchase the 16GB iPhone 3G refurb for $150, as long as I agree to a 2-year contract. Since I currently have an EDGE phone, my monthly service will increase $15.

19. shabbado macrumors member

shabbado

Find a good site that will store your songs and videos online and listen/watch them from their. This way you can have an almost unlimited amount of space.

20. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

You may be surprised to see you are eligible for an upgrade by this summer. I bought my wife an iPhone 3G shortly after the initial release (within a few weeks) and then got myself one a couple of months later. When I go onto AT&Ts website it shows that both lines are eligible for upgrades at the promo pricing. If and when a new one comes out I'll be upgrading.

21. redman042 macrumors 68020

Even if you have to pay full retail for the new one (or early upgrade), can't you ebay the old one and get a pretty good chunk of change? I'm hearing they are going for very high prices, especially if you unlock it.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It still somewhat subsidized though.
    If you bought an 8Gig 3G without contract its $599, with an early upgrade its $399 so its still something.