Upgrading to new JB !

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by alekhkhanna, Apr 4, 2011.

1. alekhkhanna macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    An iPad n00b here. Recently got iPad 1 (Wi-fi only)with 4.2.1 installed and JB-ed it. Now have loads of apps etc. installed on the iPad. A big comic collection in Comiczeal too. Regularly sync it with iTunes. Now wanna update to 4.3.1-JB.

Have some doubts:

1) Anyway I can retain the JB apps so that a simple sync with iTunes post JB-ing will install them automatically ?
    2) Have loads of comics in Comiczeal. Do I have to retransfer them after updating or a simple sync will set them as before ?
    3) I admit having a couple of pirated games on the Pad. Will the gamecenter achievements be gone after updating ? Also would the levels still stay open or will have to play them from starting ?
    4) Any method of making a list of all the apps installed so that I can reinstall them in case they don't sync up.
    5) Is the 4.3.1 browser speed up noticeably faster than the previous ones ?

Thanks. :eek:

2. Zan5hin macrumors newbie

First, if you are on 4.2.1 - I would not bother updating the firmware. As they disabled the multitouch gesturing the only thing worthwhile is the improvements to Safari browsing performance.

1) Anyway I can retain the JB apps so that a simple sync with iTunes post JB-ing will install them automatically ?

No. There is a way around this if you do a search, you have to use two separate programs and it is a pain in the ass. I tried it once on my iphone and gave up, went back to doing it manually, which is why I don't upgrade the OS very often. Going to do it today - from 3.2.1 today to 4.3.1 because I am sick of no multitasking.

2) Have loads of comics in Comiczeal. Do I have to retransfer them after updating or a simple sync will set them as before ?

Never tried it, but you will probably have to retransfer them (sideload) like you did last time, unless you are going to do a backup and then a restore in iTunes after the new firmware.

3) I admit having a couple of pirated games on the Pad. Will the gamecenter achievements be gone after updating ? Also would the levels still stay open or will have to play them from starting ?

Unless you try that cydia backup app, you will have to play all games from starting. That is why I finished all my games before I do the jailbreak today, and I will get some new games instead post-JB. I am unsure about gamecenter because 3.2.1 did not support it so I don't have any LOL.

4) Any method of making a list of all the apps installed so that I can reinstall them in case they don't sync up.

Yeah, it's called taking a screenshot, press home and power at the same time.
    There is a cydia app called Appinfo, or one of the backup ones, I just use screenshots.

5) Is the 4.3.1 browser speed up noticeably faster than the previous ones ?

I will get back to you on that one :p [/QUOTE]

3. Cloysterpeteuk macrumors member

I've gone from 3.2 jailbreak then my iPad died so I had to go onto 4.3, loving the multitasking, makes it much better to flip between iplayer and check something on the web and amend something in pages etc, I even like those daft little folder things.

So I jail broke today, I'm liking a few things like grid mover so you can place your icons wherever you want, but a few things dont work yet like infinidock, and can anyone get no lock screen to work?, that's the one I want most.

I dont play a great many games but I do have the cracked copies of the three Angry birds titles on there, amazingly it remembered which levels I had completed, how the heck did it do that?. Bear in mind I had Angry Birds HD, Seasosn and Rio cracked on jb 3.2, then I went to 4.3.1 jb with no Angry Birds now I'm on 4.3.1 and have downloaded all three games again, on HD it's remembered every level I had completed, with Seasons it's remembered all of them cept the Irish levels but on Rio it didn't remember any of them.

Awesome, now I don't have to go through all 300 odd levels again.

To the op - have you tried Comicglass?, I used to use Comic Zeal but Glass just blows it sways with the huge array of options in the settings menu, plus it has a lovely bookshelf style view for your comics.

4. Cloysterpeteuk macrumors member

As for the comics it will transfer over what comics you had in the app at the time of the last backup you did, I had a cracked copy of glass so when my iPad went into recovery mode I had to upgrade it to non jb status so I bought a legit copy of glass, iTunes brought over every comic I had stored in the cracked app, or at least everyone since my last backup.

5. alekhkhanna thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys.

So far it seems a hit or a miss with the game saves. Game center achievements *should* be backed up as they are saved in the cloud IMO.

Haven't tried glass but now since you mentioned gonna give it a whirl. What I dislike about ComicZeal is that it bloats the size of the CBRs/CBZs. I remember seeing a 10MB CBR bloating to 12-13MB in ComicZeal. And with nearly 10GB of comics, the bloated figure becomes quite an issue.

Thanks a lot again. Might give 4.3.1 a whirl if time permits and will get back here with the results. :D

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No they didn't. You just have to enable them with Xcode.

Also, in order to keep game progress and other app data, you should UPDATE to the new firmware instead of doing a restore.