Upgrading to (refurbished) MBP from '07 13" MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by u6crash, Dec 10, 2009.

1. u6crash macrumors member

u6crash

Currently my only computer is a 13" Macbook I bought in February 2007. 2.0Ghz, 120Mb HD, maxed out at 2GB RAM. The killer for me is the 64MB video card. So I'm looking to upgrade soon, but I'm on a budget so I'm going with the refurbished options to save a buck. It doesn't make a lot of sense for me to wait for a refresh if I'm going to get a refurbished model anyway. Please let me know what you think about these options:

Glossy Vs. Anti-glare: Sounds like anti-glare is the clear favorite here and that's what I lean towards. Any thoughts on using screen protectors/films to achieve the same thing if the model I want most is unavailable with anti-glare?

NVIDIA 9400 + 9600 w/ 512MB RAM: One of my main requirements. Likely going for a 17", but may be persuaded to get a 15" in the interest of saving money.

2.66GHz vs. 2.8GHz vs. 2.93GHz Vs. 3.06Ghz: Is there really that much difference? Apple's marketing department seems to think so at least. My understanding is that the 2.93GHz was only available as an option in the Early 2009 models, yet on the website they offer a 2.93Ghz model for $50 more than a 2.8Ghz model that sports a larger hard drive (neither is solid state) and upgraded anti-glare option. Is it worth spending $50 to get an extra 133MHz of processing on an older generation machine?

Early 2009 vs. Mid 2009: As long as I get a processor with 6MB on-chip cache and a backlit LED screen (available on the Early 2009 17" models, standard on all others since then?), are there any other differences between generations?

Extended AppleCare: Yay or nay? I've had it on my last two Macs. I haven't used it at all on my current Macbook (it expires in February), but it definitely came in handy on my former G4 PowerMac. If push comes to shove, I can buy this at any time in the first 90 days, correct?

I am an aspiring graphic/web design guy. I got a lot of training on it in college, but have a long way to go. I'm hoping to hone my skills with the videos offered by Total Training and find employment in the creative field. Currently I'm a third shift supervisor in a manufacturing facility, and as nice as it is to have a job these days, it's not what I was born to do. I'm also on the fence about upgrading to CS4. I believe what I have now is the Web Premium Package (PS, Illustrator, Flash Pro, Fireworks, etc), and I have InDesign 2 from a previous bundle. Any additional thoughts on upgrading my software suite would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

2. iFirmware macrumors newbie

1. To me the glossy and anti glare doesn't make a difference, you'd have to be very picky to complain
    2. What exactly will you be doing on it, the 15 to me seems a better option, simply because it is cheaper and a bit more portable
    3. The CPUs won't make much difference really, there will be a noticeable difference between the 2.66 and 3.06 but not much between say 2.66 and 2.8
    4. There aren't too many differences but everyone likes a newer machine
    5. The way I see it with applecare is, the day you don't get it is the day something goes wrong (or it has in my case)

Hope this helps

iFirmware

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

They're worlds apart if you're dyslexic or in other ways have trouble visually separating the glare for what is behind it. Films don't make enough of a difference for me - and I've tried both adhesive and sit-on-screen films. The $50 for the anitglare will be the best money you spent in the purchase.

4. u6crash thread starter macrumors member

u6crash

Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, and Dreamweaver. All work better with more screen real estate. I have an external 22" monitor that is pretty full most of the time, but I work a little better when I get out of the house.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...what about the prev gen iMac 24" 2.93Ghz or 3.06Ghz models, much more bang for your $$ and your macbook is still working fine and you could use that on the go if necessary...

Respectively, they would be $1279 or $1349 in the refurb store and you get free shipping CONUS from apple...

6. u6crash thread starter macrumors member

u6crash

I considered going the iMac route, but my current Macbook really doesn't have much power. The video is maxed out at 64MB, ram maxed at 2GB, and it's just difficult to use the applications I want to use. It doesn't even have the basic requirements to run a couple different 3D programs I'd like to play with. Being able to really work on the go is key for me right now.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...a couple days ago they had the Nvidia whitebook prev gen 2.13Ghz in the refurb store for only $749... if $$ is your concern, that seems like a good whitebook to look for...