Upgrading to series 3 advice

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fireball Dragon, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Okay, so I am thinking of upgrading from my launch (series 0?) AW to the series 3.

Will I notice a significant difference in the speed of apps being launched, etc?

Also, I like the Nike sports band, but don’t care for the Nike+ ecosystem (Strava user here). Can I just buy the Nike+ edition and use a different watch face? What are the main difffernces in the UIn can the Nike version function the same as the standard edition?

Cheers, Andy.

2. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

I would say to go for it as I have upgraded from series 2 to a series 3 Lte and the speed difference is seriously amazing. It’s just so smooth and fast.
    Siri is a real joy to use and it speaks to you. Everything about the watch is just so much better even compared to series 2 which is good in itself.
    Also I believe you can store the Nike running app on the standard watches

3. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

So I've own the Series 0 SS, Series 2 SS, and now Series 3 SS. For me the GPS was the reason I got Series 2 and LTE is why I got Series 3. When I had the Series 0, I had an iPhone 6 in a lifeproof case and I would mount that on my bike for my bike rides to track GPS so it was ok that the watch didn't have GPS. With upgrading to the iphone 7+, I knew I wasn't going to put that in a Lifeproof case and take that on my bike rides so I got the Series 2 to continue tracking my rides. With the Series 3, I'm now also running besides my bike rides and I honestly get worries sometimes of something happening on my rides and not having a way to reach anyone in an emergency.

The Nike+ version does function exactly the same as the standard, but with the added benefit of extra watch faces. You can also buy the Nike+ bands separately. I bought one as soon as it was available for my SS. I like working out with that band much more than the regular sports band.

4. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Went from a S0 to S3, difference is significant. The Watch went from a sluggish novelty to something that actually works and has a use outside of notifications.

5. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Thanks for all the input.

I went ahead and ordered the Nike+ GPS, 42mm Space Grey. Super excited! 5th October. Is this the official release for this version?

I wear a Garmin (forerunner 935) for running, so sport is not my primary concern. It’s my general day to day watch.

I have the Air Pods, and am really keen to see how they will work together, too.