Upgrading to snow leopard immediately? safe?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MythicFrost, Aug 24, 2009.

  1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

    MythicFrost

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #1
    Hey, I've heard people say Apple's OS are never completely solid/stable until a few updates later... is this true?

    I really want to upgrade now, but I don't really want any problems... but let me emphasize the first part again of really wanting to upgrade!

    What kind of problems could I expect? crashing? CS4 other programs not working? etc...?

    Anything at all? or will it be nice and no problemy? :D

    Kind Regards
     
  2. Markov macrumors 6502

    Markov

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #2
    This can be said about any operating system released by any software developer. It should be stable enough to run, but under extreme pressure it may have its glitches, it may not. That being said, Apple is quick to come out with updates fixing these glitches. I got Leopard the day it came out, and it ran quite smoothly. The only problem with going on what I said about Leopard, is that I do my intense work on Windows (3DS Max, Auto Cad...) which are not available on OS X (well, imitations are).
     
  3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #3
    You gotta remember even if Apple releases it's update over the next couple of days, it's gonna take time before software vendors like Adobe bring out patches for it's software.

    Snow Leopard is a 64Bit OS..
    But Adobe CS4 is still very much 32bit software with the odd bit's of 64bit extensions.. it's still IMO dirty code.
     
  4. Markov macrumors 6502

    Markov

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #4
    Hmm, good point, forgot about that. I would imagine that Snow Leopard will offer backward compatibility for 32bit apps.
     
  5. jaypee68 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #5
    Vista 64-bit runs 32-bit applications just fine, so I would assume that Apple was on top of this issue from the get-go.
     
  6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #6
    It's not just the software, some hardware such as those of us who are running ProTools and third-party drivers/hardware should refrain from upgrading cause there will be problems. I guarantee that!!! Software might crash, audio interface might work but prone to crash more often and plug-ins well... i dunno. Personally I'd prefer not to take the chance.
     
  7. Markov macrumors 6502

    Markov

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #7
    I would have to agree and disagree. I agree that Apple will be on top of this compatibility issue, but Vista 64 falls through on some apps, so they clearly were not. haha :D
     
  8. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #8
    there is really no point of upgrading yet unless you need to have the latest OS, or you have one of the 64bit capable macs. just the basic apps are faster, but some apps don't work yet. you might want to wait if your worried about compatibility issues.
     
  9. Markov macrumors 6502

    Markov

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #9
    +1

    Personally I may wait until 10.6.2 is released, enough time for immediate patches to be released and glitches to be fixed.
     
  10. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #10
    http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/


    good place to start as far as apps go.
     

Share This Page