Upgrading to Snow Leopard; What do I need to do first?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Noisemaker, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Noisemaker Guest

I don't want to lose any of my data. What do I need to do before updating from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard?

2. ethical macrumors 68000

Do a full back-up of your data?! Either using Time Machine or any other method you like.

3. celticpride678

Choose the Upgrade option when you put in the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD. All your data, settings and applications will remained untouched.

4. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Back up with Time Machine and clone your drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

5. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

Ok, how about the iPhone SDK? I'm currently using the Leopard 3.1.2 SDK. Will I need to uninstall it first?

I've never used Time Machine; do I just make a backup of my MacBook, then run time machine again once SL is installed?

Would I be better off doing a complete restore or will simply upgrading take care of it all?

6. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

Forgive the Double-post, but will I loose anything from iLife? It was included with my MacBook, but with the Leopard install disks. Will I loose anything from it, or are all of the same programs (Garageband, iChat, iMovie, etc) included with Snow Leopard as well?

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

The Snow Leopard upgrade disk does not include iLife. If you do a clean install of SL you will have to re-install iLife from the Leopard disks.

8. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

So, if I do a clean install, do I need to wipe my hard drive first, or just install from the DVD? Will it take care of wiping the hard drive on its own?

Will I get better results from SL if I do a clean install, or will I get the same results regardless if I upgrade or do a clean install?

9. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.

You will probably get good results from an upgrade install.

I did this and iLife 08 didn't mind at all. All my stuff seems OK so far.

A clean install is nice and may be a good idea if you are having odd problems but shouldn't be necessary.

Regardless of which route you choose, do at least a Time Machine backup first.

Good Luck,
    Keri

PS. Personally, I usually buy a new hard drive and either clone the old one to the new one then upgrade the new one OR do a clean install on the new drive then restore from Time Machine. I think the Install program can do a Time Machine restore too. ( I didn't try that from Leopard to Snow Leopard)

Either way, my old drive remains untouched and useable .

10. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Most people have little or no problems upgrading from leopard, so its safe to go ahead and upgrade.

By default, the disc will perform an upgrade of your system, the clean install option would not be seen. If you wish to do erase and install, you would need to choose Utilities>Disk Utilities (when booting up from the disc) and use that to erase the Machintosh HD. After which, you can proceed with the installation again.