Upgrading to SSD in iMac question on programs.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Biggs88, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Biggs88 macrumors member

Hello all. I have a mid 2011 27in i5 iMac. I recently upgraded to the RAM to 12gb. I'm wanting to upgrade my stock 1tb hard drive to a 120gb SSD.

I figure I can run my programs on the SSD and use a couple external 1tb hard drives for content storage.

My question is:

Will my programs be able to be transferred to the SSD?

Like for instance the Apple OS?

Even more important, my adobe Lightroom 3?

Thanks guys!!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, and yes.

Connect the hard drive externally and then use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to move over what you want to the SSD once fitted.

3. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

You can put SSD as an extra and keep your 1TB disk .

4. plind macrumors newbie

I just went through 2 upgrade cycles with my 2009 24" iMac and I wrote about the process (including data transfer) on my blog at www.lindelauf.com. Feel free to drop me a line with any questions you have.

Cheers,

Pascal

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I used the OWC Turnkey upgrade program for adding an SSD to my 27" 2011 iMac, I felt that the upgrade was too involved and risky for me to handle trying it on my own. I have done SSD installs in MacBooks and Mac Pro (which is very, very simple), however after viewing YouTube instruction videos on disassembly of the iMac chassis I decided that I should let a Professional do the install. It looked like an extremely complicated procedure, involving removing the display glass, many screws from many locations, and disassembling several brackets, etc (and then re-assembling it all without breaking anything!).

After they installed the SSD and shipped it back to me, I booted it up and discovered the Wi-Fi was not working on the iMac. Apparently they had forgotten to re-connect the Wi-Fi antennas when they re-assembled the unit. So, I had to ship it back to them. The whole process took about 2 weeks and cost me about $600, but at least I have an iMac with a working internal solid-state drive now. If I ever do get another iMac, I will just buy one from Apple Online pre-configured with the SSD from the factory. This one was purchased from a local Apple Store where that configuration was not offered in-store.

Still, I'm happy with my decision and glad I didn't attempt the install myself because I knew it was beyond my skill level.

6. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Did OWC pay for shipping both ways to fix your Wi-Fi? It seems clear they skipped a step in the reassembly and shipped it without testing everything.

Despite the complexity & risk, I'm leaning toward DIY since then I'll have the tools and experience to open it up myself if Wi-fi or whatever is perhaps loose. And maybe I'd want to upgrade the SSD or HD down the road.

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yes, after getting on the phone with customer service, they agreed that it was their fault and they sent me an Overnight UPS shipping label. I had to haul the iMac back across town to UPS, but they did pay for the shipping and did not charge me extra. It was another 5 days and I got the iMac back (working this time).

So yes, they did not re-connect the WiFi antenna wires when they originally re-assembled the machine. That was what was causing the zero signal issue when I first received the unit back from them.

8. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Wow... It took me a few minutes to open up the iMac and unscrew a few things here and there and stick my Crucial M4 in there.. $600? I could have bought a 512gb SSD for that much...

9. Biggs88 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone!!

I plan on getting the OWC pro 120gb SSD. Just to run the OS and programs. For all my data and content, I'll use the hard disk.

I have an authorized apple repair shop by me willing to do the install and cloning of stock drive for 170. I'm willing to pay that.

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Sounds pretty similar to what it cost me. I got the same drive as well, the OWC 120GB Mercury Pro Extreme.

11. disscfrench macrumors newbie

disscfrench

Not looked too deeply into this - so don't shoot me down in flames !:eek:
    Has anybody tried connecting an SSD via the thunderbolt socket and reassigning the start-up disk to it with the option key?
    I don't know if this would even work but I am not going to buy a thunderbolt external SSD drive on the off-chance that it will work!! :confused:
    It was possible to boot through the external Firewire connector in days gone by! I Used it to fix a dead Mac Mini a couple of years ago. So I know it was possible at one time.
    B-D

12. police340 macrumors regular

SSD on iMac Thunderbolt

Works just fine, I did it with two Lacies and three SSD drives. Speed results are here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1371746

13. SpecAU macrumors member

Use Time machine to back up the original disk, then do a restore to the SSD.

I did that in my mini years ago. Just make sure there is enough room on the ssd to fit the restore.

I just remember I went from an 80gig hdd to 60gig ssd lol I didnt have issues, but someone with a 1tb drive might.