Upgrading to SSD, neeed some advice

mbpmpb17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
I have a MBP 17" (about 2 years old now) and I want to upgrade to a SSD drive.

I was reading that the drive I get should be formatted for Mac (http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_install_ssd_unibody_macbook_pro).

The article says "2.5-inch Mac-formatted SSD".

I'm looking at the Vertex 4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791

Maybe I'm confused, but does should I be looking for a dive that is pre-formatted for Mac or this is something I do myself before I install?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You can format any HDD or SSD to your liking.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

49JC

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
Yep what simsaladimbamba just mentioned. I just upgraded my 2010 mbp with a vertex 4 ssd. Just went into disk utility to format drive and ran a clean install of ML. Works great and performance is awesome. Was originally going to upgrade to a new iMac when they come out but dont think Ill need to do that any more. :D

mbpmpb17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
so I just plug it in via USB initially using the dock thing, and format it, then I install it right?

BTW, the vertex 4 seems to be the best one out there right (for $100 or so).

49JC

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
so I just plug it in via USB initially using the dock thing, and format it, then I install it right?

BTW, the vertex 4 seems to be the best one out there right (for $100 or so).
Nope just follow the instructions in the article you have there to replace the internal HDD with the SSD. When I did a clean install of ML it gave me the option to go into disk utility to format the drive first. After I formatted I went back to the menu to install ML.

mbpmpb17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Nope just follow the instructions in the article you have there to replace the internal HDD with the SSD. When I did a clean install of ML it gave me the option to go into disk utility to format the drive first. After I formatted I went back to the menu to install ML.
And how did you install ML (the latest OS)? Did you burn in to disk somehow?

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Dec 14, 2010
UK
You don't need to use any other apps to create a bootable USB drive - see my videos for a tutorial.

I'd recommend the Samsung 830 for its sheer reliability and speed.

mbpmpb17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Yea, technically challenged people. I've installed two with no issues.

One on a 2011 15" and one on a 2012 15".
Are you implying you need to play around with the drive or screws to get in installed? i.e. it isn't as simple as putting it and place with the screws lining up etc?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Are you implying you need to play around with the drive or screws to get in installed? i.e. it isn't as simple as putting it and place with the screws lining up etc?
No, it's the same as any other hdd or SSD. Simple. They probably just didn't know how to properly format and install os x and complain it being an SSD issue over user error.