Upgrading to SSD, neeed some advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbpmpb17, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mbpmpb17 macrumors member

I have a MBP 17" (about 2 years old now) and I want to upgrade to a SSD drive.

I was reading that the drive I get should be formatted for Mac (http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_install_ssd_unibody_macbook_pro).

The article says "2.5-inch Mac-formatted SSD".

I'm looking at the Vertex 4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791

Maybe I'm confused, but does should I be looking for a dive that is pre-formatted for Mac or this is something I do myself before I install?

2. simsaladimbamba

You can format any HDD or SSD to your liking.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. 49JC macrumors member

Yep what simsaladimbamba just mentioned. I just upgraded my 2010 mbp with a vertex 4 ssd. Just went into disk utility to format drive and ran a clean install of ML. Works great and performance is awesome. Was originally going to upgrade to a new iMac when they come out but dont think Ill need to do that any more. :D

4. mbpmpb17 thread starter macrumors member

so I just plug it in via USB initially using the dock thing, and format it, then I install it right?

BTW, the vertex 4 seems to be the best one out there right (for $100 or so).

5. 49JC macrumors member

Nope just follow the instructions in the article you have there to replace the internal HDD with the SSD. When I did a clean install of ML it gave me the option to go into disk utility to format the drive first. After I formatted I went back to the menu to install ML.

6. mbpmpb17 thread starter macrumors member

And how did you install ML (the latest OS)? Did you burn in to disk somehow?

7. 49JC macrumors member

I actually made a bootdrive out a 8Gb flash drive - using LionDiskMaker which is freeware (see thread below for link)

Followed these instructions here - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1404860

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

9. Ifti macrumors 68000

You don't need to use any other apps to create a bootable USB drive - see my videos for a tutorial.

I'd recommend the Samsung 830 for its sheer reliability and speed.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

OCZ Vertex 4 is a great SSD. Dont let other convince you that its not. Samsung, Corsair and Crucial make good SSDs too.

11. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

I've heard a lot of people complain and have problems with installing a Vertex 4 in Macbooks.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yea, technically challenged people. I've installed two with no issues.

One on a 2011 15" and one on a 2012 15".

13. mbpmpb17 thread starter macrumors member

Are you implying you need to play around with the drive or screws to get in installed? i.e. it isn't as simple as putting it and place with the screws lining up etc?

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

No, it's the same as any other hdd or SSD. Simple. They probably just didn't know how to properly format and install os x and complain it being an SSD issue over user error.