Upgrading to SSD right now help about something

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mausoc, Oct 29, 2015.

1. mausoc macrumors newbie

Hi, so I have my new SSD and I'm about to install it, but before I started the installation I wanted to make sure that my new SSD was fully functional so I connected it via external usb to sata2.5 cable.
    A message saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" appeared on screen and I checked and the SSD was actually being shown in the Disk Utility and I could normally do everything you can do in Disk Utility. but my Disk was not shown on the finder window so I'm a little bit worried that my SSD won't work inside the computer.
    Maybe It's the other way around and until I connect my new SSD in the hard drive internal port it will work perfectly??
    Also I researched and this error message problem has happened to a lot of people too, and they say It's just an annoying warning that the computer shows by mistake.
    But if I can see it in Disk Utility why can't I see it in the finder window?
    Am I not gonna be able to transfer files from my old hard drive by connecting with the usb to sata cable through the finder window?
    Or should I just connect my new SSD already to see what happens?
    Some help would be appreciated.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Partition it as required, then it should show up in Finder.

3. mausoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh of course god, thanks for that, I did fromat the disk but I didn't check finder after doing so. haha thanks for the answer!

4. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

You simply have a "bare" disk with no partitions. From DiskUtility simply partition it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and then it will mount in Finder and also be available during a clean install from USB.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Cool - did it show up ok after partitioning?