Upgrading to SSD with VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swimman, Mar 17, 2013.

1. swimman macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 MPB with a 500gb drive. It's been dependable over the years but after all this time I'm getting nervous the HDD will die a quick death as I use this laptop for my business. Been considering purchasing a new laptop but also maybe upgrading to an SSD for the MBP.

Can anyone comment on upgrading to an SSD (I'd go with 500gb minimum) while using VMware Fusion? I definitely need to run Windows with Fusion and want to know if I will have any issues with cloning (will both OSX and Windows work perfectly after a clone?). As well, can I just use the disk utility to clone the drive or will there be issues on the Windows side?

I'm not very technical regarding these matters but have not problems with giving it a shot. I could always resort to reinstalling the HDD if things don't work out and go to plan B!

Thanks in advance.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

If your Windows is in VMware and not Boot Camp, it should be a piece of cake to move to a different drive.

Any time I've replaced drives on my Mac notebooks, I attached the new one via a USB enclosure, used SuperDuper to clone it, tested the clone by holding the OPTION key when booting up and choosing it to boot from, then installing it.

I think you can use the Disk Utility program to clone your drive, but I've always used SuperDuper.

3. swimman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm solely using Fusion (have not touched Boot Camp). I've read about other issues if you are using Boot Camp but could not find much regarding Fusion.

I've also read about Super Duper and will most likely go that route if I get the SSD. Just looking for a deal on a 500+ gb Samsung 840 Pro model. Keeping my eyes open.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hope you find a good deal soon! Your MBP should feel like a whole new machine with a SSD!

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Your VMware Fusion Windows installation is simply a bunch of standard OS X files. Any method you choose to clone your drive will successfully move your Windows VM as well. You should have no problems.