Upgrading to ssd without the use of usb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by little jonny, Apr 8, 2014.

1. little jonny macrumors newbie

Hi guys
    First post and it is not as simple as it seems. (At least not for me :) ).I have read through the stickies and guides and have failed to find a solution. Apologies if there is one out there already.

So I have a 2011 mbp. Both usb ports have stopped working. Apple said I cannot replace the ports and I must replace a new board which costs more than buying a new mac, apparently. Whilst this has been an inconvenience I have worked around it, now I need to install an ssd to recuperate some of the performance of the mbp glory days as sadly it's become rather sluggish. I cannot connect a drive to clone my original drive. I cannot write the files to a usb stick and the file size is too large for standard disks.

Any suggestions guys I'd really appreciate the help

Cheers

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Time Capsule (Ethernet) or Thunderbolt drive.

How are you currently backing it up?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Do you have access to a working machine? If so you could clone your drive using that

4. little jonny thread starter macrumors newbie

I could get hold of a Windows based laptop, could I use that to install a clean version of the os on a stick and use that?

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You can always use the restore from backup option. This of course is provided that you have a backup... if you don't I would worry about that before worrying about SSDs.

As already said above, your best options are probably connecting through WiFi, Ethernet or Thunderbolt.

Edit: Now that you mention it. If you have access to a machine with working USB ports you could take out the HDD, put it in a USB enclosure, put the SSD in another enclosure, and use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the content of the HDD.

If you are just worried about reinstalling the OS that should be possible either using the CDs or using web restore. But I guess the data transfer is a bigger issue for you.

6. niteflyr, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

niteflyr macrumors 6502a

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Replace the optical drive with a caddy and have both drives internal. Permanently if you wish...

8. little jonny thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses.
    If I replace the ssd will I still be able to access the internet recovery function on a drive that doesn't have any os on it.

Sorry if I sound dumb I'm not very clued up on this stuff.

Cheers guys

----------

Just to clarify as well I'm not bothered about keeping my data I will be happy with a clean install

9. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

If you have that EFI update installed, you should be able to use the internet recovery method on a blank drive. You'll need a wifi or ethernet connection as it downloads the OS. Command+Option+R boot. Once utilities menu loads up select disk utility to format the drive, exit disk utility and select install OSX. It's a slow process, but it works.