Upgrading to SSHD Hybrid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thechadmartinez, Oct 26, 2013.

1. thechadmartinez macrumors newbie

Hi guys!
    How do I even begin with upgrading? Backing up to an external HDD is a must but how do I set the the boot drive to the 8GB SSD part and the others to the HDD part? Does this make any sense? I mean if i use the SSD for the boot drive, will that mean only my startups from shutdown get faster? I still want other apps to boot faster. but 8 gb is not enough.:confused:

2. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

SSHDs are SSDs built into a Hard drive. It's a single unit, not two separate things. You cannot partition things seperately.

I had one once. It's not a gimmick technology. It really works and it works well. Just treat it like a regular hard drive and it will speed up the more you use it.

SSHDs put everything on the HDD, but copies pieces of data that it notices you accessing frequently to the SSD. When called again, the SSHD get the data off the SSD side instead of the HDD. It does all of this transparently and while it is no match for a real SSD, it is still a significant improvement.

Enjoy!

3. thechadmartinez thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Thanks for the post! What I understand from what you said is that I can't have my boot disk as the 8gb SSD part? Just install it, and basically leave the 8gb alone for its "calling the pieces of data i frequently used?" Im sorry if I got it wrong. I am not that much of a newbie on tech but this SSHD Hybrid is killing me.:confused:

4. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Exactly. One of the nice things about SSHDs is that you do not need to manage ANYTHING. The SSD portion of the drive is just a clever cache.

5. thechadmartinez thread starter macrumors newbie

Oooookaaay. I get it now. my other question is, how do I begin on backing up? To an external hard drive then to the new SSHD? it should all be plug and play, right? Thanks!:confused:

6. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

If you have an external drive, format it and turn on time machine. let it back up to that drive. While there is a lot of hatred for time machine, its actually great for most usage scenarios.

Leave that drive connected when you go to reinstall the OS. Be sure you boot into internet recovery. When it asks, tell it to restore from that time machine backup.

7. thechadmartinez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your help! You have no idea how i feel. I feel like I solved a puzzle. Thank you to you kind sir!:)

8. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

If you leave time machine turned on, every tim you connect that external drive, it will back up your mac. It's always a good idea to back up regularly, and is especially important with laptops. Standard hard drives do not like being shaken like they regularly are in laptops. Your SSHD has an HDD as part of it, so it has the same vulnerability.

PERFORM REGULAR BACKUPS!

9. thechadmartinez thread starter macrumors newbie

Noted! Thanks again sir!