Upgrading to the 3G - advice please (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stardotboy, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Stardotboy macrumors regular

I could do with some advice on upgrading if anyone could lend an opinion. I've posted before outlining the reasons why I wasn't looking to upgrade to the iPhone 3G from my current first gen iPhone. The main reasons for not wanting to upgrade were:

- having to renew my contract (and probably not being able to upgrade to any newer model that's released within the next 18 months)
    - limited interest in the new features (3G and GPS not loads of use to me)
    - having to pay out £99 for the new handset to stay on my £35pm contract

So those were the reasons I didn't want to upgrade, but today the tables have turned slightly - as I am eligible for a corporate discount of 33% off my line rental when I take out a new contract.

This would mean I could get a new 8Gb iPhone for free on the £45pm contract (paying £29.70 a month for it thanks to the discount) and downgrade after 9 months to the £35pm contract (paying just £23.10 for it).

So by upgrading I would get a free new phone, pay substantially less line rental than I do now, and could eBay my old phone for some quick cash. However I'm still concerned about the build quality of the new phones and not sure I want to restart an 18 month contract.

Any opinions of what you'd do in this situation would be very welcome.

2. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

If it makes you feel any better, I had initial misgivings about the build quality too.. but after having one for a few weeks now, this is what I've found :

• it feels slimmer, thanks to the edges and definately sits in the hand better.. it's "snug"
    • the plastic backing *appears* to be less prone to scratches than it looks... no scratches on mine yet and it gets handled a lot
    • metal switches on the side are a definate improvement
    • speaker and microphone - whilst more visible, are better quality than 1st gen, imo
    • headphone socket looks like it's not going to be as sturdy as V1 but seems to have held out with me.. no issues

so all in all, I'm very pleasantly surprised.. I thought it would fall apart in a week.. but so far (touch wood) it's been as sturdy for me as the V1 model.

hope that helps :)

3. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

I wasn't going to bother upgrading, but having seen the prices the old iPhone was reaching on ebay, I thought I'd give myself a free upgrade.

It doesn't feel like a massive upgrade TBH, but the 3G makes it much more useable when out and about. It feels better too. Biggest issue is the non compatibility of the dock.

In hindsight, I'm glad I've done it, but wouldn't pay extra for it. The software upgrade was a much bigger deal for me*

*when its not crashing ;-)

4. umop apisdn macrumors member

umop apisdn

I would do that in an instant. The price of the contracts you're getting are excellent value.

I also, personally prefer the iPhone 3G with its plastic back. Feels much better to hold. I found the silent/ringer switch a little stiff at first which has improved with more use.

GPS (in and around London) for me has been excellent, same with 3G coverage.

A lot of people complained about the warmer screen colour, which you do notice straight away when upgrading. But now when I compare my 3G with the original iPhone, I prefer the warmer colour.

5. Stardotboy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the pointers, it's easy to get the impression on here sometimes that every unit has a bright yellow screen and a case that comes covered in scratches and bleeding light from all angles.

I agree I never saw it as a massive upgrade either, hence not being too fussed - but seeing as how this could save me a fair bit of money I might well go ahead and swap mine for a new one. I'd just be annoyed if they released a better version and I couldn't upgrade due to being locked into a new contract!