Upgrading to Tiger problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jeekah, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Jeekah macrumors newbie

Hi, really hope someone can help me. I currently run Panther 10.3.9. on a PowerPC G4 eMac and I am really happy with it but I have decided to upgrade as I can't use my new ipod on it and various other new programs that I want won't run on Panther either so I bought a copy of Tiger on Ebay (from an Ebay shop who has got good reviews for selling apple software). It is new and a CPU Drop In DVD if that makes a difference. I have no idea what that means but my emac does have a DVD player.

Anyway, the problem is (please bare with me on this one, delving under the bonnet of macs is not really my strong point!):

I put in the upgrade disc and after a little bit of time it mounts. I open it and click on the 'instal Mac OS X' icon.
    The Mac OS X Tiger window opens and asks me to click the 'Restart' button.
    I do this and it asks and then accepts my password.
    It restarts but starts back up onto a blank grey screen and there it stays for quite some time until it either ejects the upgrade disc and starts up as normal or it just seems to ignore the fact the disc is there and starts up as normal.

Do you have any advice on this please?

Thanks for your help on this matter. I am dying to get up and running with Tiger!

Look forward to hearing from you

Jeekah

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Question...

I believe there were two version of the Tiger retail DVD... One for PPC systems and one for Intel systems. Look at the box it came in and see if you have the correct version.

You can also boot with the Option key held down and select the Tiger disc on the boot loader (blue) screen. Try that.

3. Jeekah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Merl1n for the advice, I did as you said and forced it to boot and I managed to get Tiger installed. It has not been all plain sailing as I had no options for installing and it is taking ages to start up on restarts and shut downs as well as seeing a lot of the spinning beach ball! Hopefully they are just settling in problems. If you have any more tips on how to make it all run a bit more smoothly, I would love to hear them!

Once again, thank you for your help.

Jeekah :)

4. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

How much RAM do you have? That can make things run quicker.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok here's is what I would do and in this order:

1. Download the latest combo updater for Tiger from here:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10411comboupdateppc.html

2. PMU reset - Go to here and go to page 47. There is a reset button inside your computer for this:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/eMac_OriginalUserGuide.pdf

3. Safe Boot - hold down the shift key at startup until you see the grey screen and spinning gear on it, then let go of the key. This boot will take considerable time (on an emac, it could take as long as 30 mins, but I'm not sure) as a lot is going on behind the scenes. Just be patient! Eventually you will get to your login screen with the words "Safe Boot" in red. Then just log in.

4. Run Disk Utility First Aid and repair permissions on your disk.

5. Run the combo updater to get to 10.4.11. After applying your mac may reboot twice - don't worry as this is normal.

6. After you log in again, repeat step 4.

See if this makes a difference.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Also, you may want to replace your battery (for the PRAM) as these last for only about 3 years). Refer to my previous post and the manual (page 47).

7. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

There was only one version of the Tiger retail DVD. It was for PowerPC machines only. Tiger for Intel was only included with the Intel machines.

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I second everything Merlin said. Except the battery comment, I have two machine with batteries that are still working after 6 and 9 years. ;)

9. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes, I always forget that. DUH!:rolleyes:

That is possible, but I'm assuming that you have your machines plugged into A/C power all the time which keeps a charge going to the batteries. These batteries are only meant to last 3 - 4 years or so. An easy way to tell is by disconnecting the A/C power and letting the machines sit for two days or so. If you lose your PRAM settings, then the batteries are not holding their charges long enough.