Upgrading to Unibody, keeping hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Runt888, May 8, 2009.

1. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

Next week my new 17" Unibody will arrive. I'm currently using a previous model 15" MB Pro with an upgraded 7200RPM 500GB hard drive. I want to put this hard drive in the new laptop when it arrives, without losing any of my data. My boss is convinced that I can just put the drive in the new computer, and everything will work (including my boot camp partition).

Is he correct, or should I back up all my data and reinstall everything on the new drive?

Thanks!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I had to do the same thing from my white macbook to my aluminum one. I just backed everything up, and then put it in the new computer, and reinstalled the OS, and restored everything. :)

3. edblor macrumors regular

That's a little bit different than just popping in the HDD and using the laptop.

I think the OP was told he could just put the old HDD into his new unibody and start using it.

But you are right that you should backup, and restore!

Backup your current HDD to another HDD, pop it in the new unibody, install OS, migrate everything over from the backup.

I'm not sure I'd want to try it another way. But if someone knows better, please do tell:)

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I will work if you just swap it out. I used mine for a few hours with the old hard drive first and it worked just fine. But I needed to install the new OS anyways for all the new drivers. :) Just to keep things running smoothly.

5. Runt888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies!

I think I will backup and reinstall, just to be sure. Plus it gives me an excuse to get rid of all the junk that has started to accumulate.

Thanks again!