Upgrading to Vista 64 on Mac Pro (for FSX) - anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Thunderbird8, May 1, 2008.

1. Thunderbird8 macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Hi

I'm going to upgrade to Vista 64 so I can take advantage of all my system RAM (XP32 only sees 2GB at the moment) and cores. Anything I need to know? Please, you don't need to post any general comments on Vista, but specific ones to running FSX would be useful. Being a mac user I am very luck that the only thing I have to use windows for is FSX!

As I don't have any add-ons yet I am going to do a clean install by wiping the partition and starting again....or am I, do i need to do this or should I just let it upgrade itself????

2. sine90° macrumors newbie

sine90°

Hi,
    I'm actually doing the same thing. I have a Mac Book pro though and only leapord.
    I'm getting Vista 64 bit for FSX.

However, you have a mac pro so you need to have Vista Business 64 Bit.
    If you don't get Business, or ultimate (but that is not nessisary I think), you will only be using 1 prossesor. Businesss recognizes 2 prossesors., but Vista Home only sees 1.

I'm not sure about the upgrading/ cleaning partition because I have not done that yet.
    Good luck.

3. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

You won't have a choice, you'll have to do a clean install -- provided you're going to install Vista x64 (on XP 32). You could upgrade from Vista 32 only.

sash