Upgrading to Windows 8 on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LouisLoh, Nov 19, 2012.

1. LouisLoh macrumors regular

Hi all,

Currently, I have Windows 7 installed on a separate partition of my rMBP's SSD.

I want to upgrade to Windows 8 but do I install it in the current Windows 7 itself, or do/can I install it from Bootcamp Assistant?

My worry is that if I do the former, even my OSX partition will be wiped out.

Sorry for noob question :X

2. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

I know you said, "upgrade", but do you want to have a separate 8/7 partition?

Honestly, I'd recommend having two splits on your HD if you have space in case you want to go back to 7.

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

You would run Windows 8 Setup from within Windows 7. I am not sure I would consider Windows 8 an upgrade from Windows 7. Have you already purchased it? If not, I would strongly consider trying it first.

With that said, Apple doesn't officially support Windows 8 yet, so your experience will not be as good as it would be if they (ever do) provide Windows 8 optimized TrackPad drivers for it

4. LouisLoh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for your prompt replies.

I purchased W8 as an upgrade (MS was offering a discount), so the activation key would not work on a clean install. And I don't mind W8 really.