Upgrading via Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by birdburger, Mar 30, 2013.

1. birdburger macrumors newbie

Hi, this is a bit of an old school issue but hopefully somebody can help.

I have a MacBook Pro unibody that currently has snow leopard 10.6.8 installed.

I wish to upgrade my internal hard drive.

The only install disc I have is for leopard, I do not have an install disc for snow leopard.

Therefore can I, change the hard drive, install leopard using the install disc and then restore from a time machine back up that is in snow leopard?

Will the operating system upgrade to snow leopard through using the time machine backup?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Isamilis macrumors 6502

If you already have time machine backup, then just press option-R while booting. No need to have install DVD.

4. simsaladimbamba

What does that accomplish? There is no Recovery partition on that Mac, since that was only introduced in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

And booting into the Recovery partition is done via CMD+R.

5. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Yes, you're correct. I tested this on ML. I haven't tested in Leopard / Snow Leopard.

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You should get one. They can be bought very cheaply from the Apple Store.

Firstly, it would solve your current dilemma, and be useful in case of any problems you might have (e.g. allowing you to boot to the installer disk to Repair your Hard drive).

Secondly, the licence to use Snow Leopard is closely linked to ownership of a disk. If you never had a disk, then you don't really have a licence to use OS X.

(This has changed with Lion and downloads from the MAS.)