Upgrading video card in early '08 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GoKyu, Aug 2, 2009.

1. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Hi all,

I have the default video card (Radeon HD 2600, 256mb), and am thinking of upgrading to a 512 meg video card for the Photoshop stuff I'm doing now, and some light video editing I'll be doing later on. I'd also like to be ready to take advantage of more video memory for when CS5 64 bit comes out.

Is there a (somewhat) inexpensive option for a 512 meg video card for the early 2008 Mac Pro? I'd like to spend ~$200 at the most, less if at all possible.

This card is NOT for gaming - the only games I play are through MAME, and the current card can handle those just fine.

I read something about the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 being able to work on my machine...is it significantly better than the HD2600?

Thanks for any info!

2. MacVidCards Suspended

Flash a 4870 and be done with it.

reading is your friend

3. GoKyu thread starter macrumors 65816

GoKyu

After reading several pages of that other thread, it looks like it's not as simple as "just flash a 4870 and be done with it."

The 4870 looks like it also comes in both 512 meg and 1 tb varieties - does it matter which board you buy?

Are these the only cards that can take advantage of OpenCL?

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

no, it's not as easy as 'flashing and be done with it'

the gt120 is a good option, as is the 8800GT (if you can find one)

they're your only options

however, if you're up to the challenge, read up for a couple of days on the 4870HD flashing and go for it...it'll be far superior to either of the above cards

5. GoKyu thread starter macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Just giving an update - I decided to go with the GT 120 - after reading up on the other thread, and reading about all kinds of side effects and issues (random blinking, stuff like that), I wanted a card that has full support from Apple.

I didn't spend over 3 grand on a machine just to hack and flash firmware and have possible side effects. Now I see why it's worth the premium to have Apple hardware in the computer. (RAM being a different story, of course...OWC has a lifetime warranty.)

The 512 meg GT 120 card has already sped up some of my Photoshop work, as well as some minor video editing that I do. I've also noticed that graphics seem to load quicker in Firefox as well.

Not a bad investment for only about $137 with tax from the Apple store.

Thanks for the replies!

6. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I know where you are coming from. That is why I went for the Apple Radeon 4870. I don't care that it cost AU$400 more then a PC one to then flash it.

But it is a bloody good card.

7. treo360 macrumors member

I have a 8800 gt that's doing nothing. If interested PM me an offer.

8. GoKyu thread starter macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Thanks, but I wouldn't really have any use for an 8800GT - I don't play games that require great fps...

9. treo360 macrumors member

Oh I thought you were looking for a stock :apple: 8800gt or similar card that had at least 512mb, which is why I asked.

I used it for Photoshop/Sketch Book pro and Maya before upgrading to a 4870. Figured it was what you were looking for.

10. poobah macrumors member

Actually, it is that simple, just need to buy the right card.

11. MacVidCards Suspended

The OP interested in doing the necessary research, they wanted a "turnkey" situation.